[comp.std.c] How Standards?

hagerman@ece.cmu.edu (John Hagerman) (04/17/91)

How does ANSI work?  Can/will ANSI C continue to evolve?  Is there any
point in my thinking about what I'd change in the language, or in
posting such thoughts here for comment?  Is it possible for me to get
my thoughts into serious consideration with little pain?

Thanks - John
--
hagerman@ece.cmu.edu

diamond@jit345.swstokyo.dec.com (Norman Diamond) (04/17/91)

In article <HAGERMAN.91Apr16221024@rx7.ece.cmu.edu> hagerman@ece.cmu.edu (John Hagerman) writes:
>How does ANSI work?  Can/will ANSI C continue to evolve?

It will, exactly as ANSI Fortran, ANSI Cobol, and others have evolved.
It might be the way ANSI/ISO Pascal evolved (by giving the new language
a modified name instead of supplanting the old one), but this was unusual.

>Is there any point in my thinking about what I'd change in the language,

That's a matter of personal opinion.

>or in posting such thoughts here for comment?

Such posts will likely draw flames until the committee begins work on a
new standard, maybe in about 4 years or so.  I believe there's another
newsgroup now for C futures.

>Is it possible for me to get my thoughts into serious consideration

Yes, but you'll have to wait for the call for public comments on the
new standard.

>with little pain?

No.  (Some people would put a smiley on this, but it's really pretty accurate.)
--
Norman Diamond       diamond@tkov50.enet.dec.com

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (04/18/91)

In article <HAGERMAN.91Apr16221024@rx7.ece.cmu.edu> hagerman@ece.cmu.edu (John Hagerman) writes:
>How does ANSI work?  Can/will ANSI C continue to evolve?  Is there any
>point in my thinking about what I'd change in the language, or in
>posting such thoughts here for comment?  Is it possible for me to get
>my thoughts into serious consideration with little pain?

ANSI X3J11 is currently only in the business of interpreting the
existing C standard, not drafting a new one.  A revised C standard
from ANSI is unlikely for the next several years.  ISO SC22/WG14
is currently working on proposed "normative addenda" that would in
effect modify the international C standard, which at the moment is
technically identical to the ANSI C standard.  It is highly
desirable for such addenda to remain entirely compatible with the
current standard, but anything could happen, given the politics
involved and the fact that it's mostly a different set of people
than the ones who prepared the original technical content (so some
of the principles and reasoning that went into the current standard
may not be known to the addendum workers; not all of that was
captured in the Rationale document).  However, the normative
addenda are addressing specific technical areas and are not meant
as a way to solicit random suggestions for changes to C.

If you have some good ideas for improvements (hopefully not
incompatible changes) to the language, try implementing them or
suggesting them to implementors.  For example, the Gnu C compiler
supports numerous extensions beyond the standard.  If there is
enough favorable experience with the extensions when work begins
toward a revised standard at some future date, then they might be
adopted for the future standard.  "But don't bother us now."