[comp.fonts] DVIEW

dow@wjh12.harvard.edu (Dominik Wujastyk) (04/22/88)

In article <5615@uwmcsd1.UUCP> burkett@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Edward W Burkett) writes:

>I recently obtained a copy of Steve Wards DVIEW program for
>previewing TeX dvi files.  This program works nicely on IBM
>compatibles but it came with a limited supply of fonts.  Now, I do ...

Ward's program is superb, and could become standard for PCs.  But at
present it only reads the .PXL font format.  I have talked to Steve on the
phone, and he agreed to put .PK support into DVIEW if I sent him the spec.
I have done this, and also sent him the Beebe source for version 2.10 of
the DVI family.  I hope this will encourage Steve (ahem! Professor Ward) to
put .PK into DVIEW.  He is a *very* busy man.

The current version of DVIEW is 2.5.  So later versions may have .PK
support.  I suggest that we hold on for a bit, before making masses of
.PXL files for ourselves, and see whether Prof. Ward will do his magic
quickly.

Dominik

--
bitnet:	 user DOW on the bitnet node HARVUNXW
arpanet: dow@wjh12.harvard.edu