[comp.fonts] What is ?

Does anybody know what the font is in National Geographic to
caption the photographs, the italic one ?

--
               noalias went. it really wasn't negotiable
richard@gryphon.CTS.COM                          rutgers!marque!gryphon!richard

mills@adobe.COM (Dan Mills) (05/08/88)

In article <3875@gryphon.CTS.COM> richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>Does anybody know what the font is in National Geographic to
>caption the photographs, the italic one ?

I don't know its name, or even if it has one, but I do know that Matthew
Carter designed it specially for the National Geographic. NG is well aware
that most people only look at the pictures and read the captions, so they
decided to have Carter design them an especially legible--readable in
fact--italic face for use in the captions. It was originally done for
Linotype equipment (at the time Carter either worked for Linotype or had
some kind of exclusive consulting agreement). NG may have exclusive rights
to use the face.  Check Linotype's specimen book, or call them up, or ask
Carter.  He's now V.P. of Design (or something like that) at Bitstream in
Cambridge MA.

- Dan Mills
{decwrl,sun}!adobe!mills