[comp.fonts] font flames

gls@odyssey.ATT.COM (g.l.sicherman) (05/04/88)

> Nice stuff, Univers. Helvetica eat your heart out.

Haas Helvetica is merely boring.  Univers is UGLY.  Mandrill rules!
(And anybody who wants Mandrill bitmaps should write me directly--
you can't get them from Mergenthaler!)

-:-
	"Well, what DO you have?"
	"Old English.  In three sizes."
--
Col. G. L. Sicherman
...!ihnp4!odyssey!gls

chuq@plaid.Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (05/10/88)

>Haas Helvetica is merely boring.  Univers is UGLY.  Mandrill rules!

Mandrill? Hmm... I still prefer Univers.

What about text faces? My current preference for lots of text is Palatino,
but I'm hoping to upgrade one of these seconds to Garamond, which is quite
pretty and very readable. What are you folks favorite faces? Times need not
apply, of course...

elwell@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Clayton Elwell) (05/10/88)

chuq@sun.UUCP (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
    What are you folks favorite faces?  Times need not apply, of course...

Times is for newspapers, hence the name :-).

I use ITC Garamond Light as the text for the magazine I put together.
I'd say that I much prefer serif faces for running text, and that
furthermore I generally prefer oldstyle faces to modern faces.  How's
this for a 'top four':

	ITC Garamond
	Goudy Old Style
	Palatino
	ITC Galliard

I've been looking carefully at Stone (Adobe's new typeface family that
they developed in house), and I must admit that I like some pieces of
it better than others.  For example, I think the serif italic is
absolutely wonderful, but the serif roman is pretty undistinguished.
Not bad, mind you, but it sort of strikes me as slightly off.  Stone
Sans is running neck-and-neck with Gill Sans for my favorite sans
serif face.  Stone Informal is an interesting idea, but I'm not
convinced yet.

--
Clayton M. Elwell <elwell@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>
-=-

chuq@plaid.Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (05/10/88)

>    What are you folks favorite faces?  Times need not apply, of course...

>I use ITC Garamond Light as the text for the magazine I put together.
> How's this for a 'top four':

>	ITC Garamond
>	Goudy Old Style
>	Palatino
>	ITC Galliard

Hmm. something's wrong. I agree with all four choices, although I'd probably
put Goudy below Palatino. How can we start a flame war this way???

>I've been looking carefully at Stone (Adobe's new typeface family that
>they developed in house), and I must admit that I like some pieces of
>it better than others.  For example, I think the serif italic is
>absolutely wonderful, but the serif roman is pretty undistinguished.
>Not bad, mind you, but it sort of strikes me as slightly off.  Stone
>Sans is running neck-and-neck with Gill Sans for my favorite sans
>serif face.  Stone Informal is an interesting idea, but I'm not
>convinced yet.

I'm with you. They used Stone for the new Adobe book, so I got a chance to
see it in action. I think the Serif font is nice, but nothing to write home
about. The sans-serif is a good, solid, boring serif font. Nothing wrong
with it, but nothing to really draw your attention to it.

I'll say right now it's much better than anything I'd be able to design. Or
even dream of designing. But, except for being the first set of faces
designed specifically for Postscript output (rather than an adaptation of
some other face) I don't see any real advantages to using it. I might well
use stone down the road for some stuff, but it isn't a face that makes me
want to run down to ComputerWare and shove it on my hard disk. The family is
a nice, conservative, average, useful but not noteworthy family.

rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) (05/10/88)

Deliberately taken out of context:
    > Nothing wrong
    >with it, but nothing to really draw your attention to it.
Sounds to me like the font in question is a wild success, in at
least one area.
	/r$
--
Please send comp.sources.unix-related mail to rsalz@uunet.uu.net.

paul@ardent.UUCP (Paul Ausick) (05/11/88)

We've just printed all the documentation for a new product on a Sun/Mac/LW+
conglomeration using Palatino for body text and Helvetica for display
copy.  We chose them because they were the best looking of the standard
LW+ fonts.  Someday soon we'll buy Optima, which I think is the most
beautiful font on earth.  The big problem with using Optima, or Palatino
for that matter, on the LW+ is that the output resolution doesn't give
very smooth characters in large sizes. Try a 54+ point Palatino "T" and
you'll see what I mean.  Of course on the typesetting machines this isn't
a problem.

Another font I like a lot is ITC Galliard.  I like Aksidenz Grotesque
better than either Helvetica or Univers, but it's not available from
Adobe.  Have to limit myself to Adobe's stuff, for now.

I enjoy reading this group and hope the discussion will stay keen.

Cheers,

--
/Paul Ausick
Ardent Computer Corporation

capslock@cup.portal.com (05/15/88)

My favorites are:
Caslon
Garamond
Gill Sans
the Metro family
Memphis
  Since this is 'Font Flames', I'll take this opportunity to buck the
trends and criticise those horrible ITC renditions of legitimate
classic faces, like Caslon, Garamond, Baskerville, etc.
  These great faces have had their descenders cut off and their x heights
bloated to reflect modern (1970's) tastes. Too bad that you cannot
yet buy the original renditions from Adobe.

tut%cairo@Sun.COM (Bill "Bill" Tuthill) (05/17/88)

It's important to recognize that this Helvetica .vs. Univers debate is
nearly pointless, because the two fonts are nearly identical.  Most folks
couldn't even tell them apart.  The telltale traits are that Helvetica
has a slashed Q and hooked G, while Univers has a tailed Q and smooth G.
(Many pieces of text don't even contain a capital Q.)  The main reasons
I dislike Helvetica are that the f r and t are too narrow, and the y has
a curved descender, making it indistinguishable from j on first sight.
The f r and t in Univers are wider, and y has a straight descender.

Sorry, Karl Kleine, but I fail to see the appeal of Gill Sans.  Both p
and q have flat tops, which makes them hard to recognize.  Its g is serif-
style, which clashes with the straight look of other miniscules.

I agree that Optima is one of the world's greatest fonts.  It looks swank
(at 10 point and above) as a header font for Palatino.  Although Optima
and Palatino weren't explicitly designed to go together, they make a cute
couple-- much better than Times and Helvetica, often seen together like
two people on an uncomfortable blind date.  Brooks' @i{Mythical Man Month}
is an example of a book set with Optima headers and Palatino body.

So far nobody has mentioned Bembo.  It is one of my favorite fonts below
10 point.  Many Penguin paperbacks are set in Bembo.  For high legibility,
compactness, and a font that's easy on the eye, Bembo can't be beat.  Too
bad, laser-lovers, it doesn't look good at 300 dpi.

In my view, neither Bembo nor Garamond looks good at high point sizes.
Take a look at @i{Sierra} magazine (the official propaganda publication
of the Sierra Club) for an example of Bembo horrendously misused at too
large a size.  Then take a look at Apple's LazyWriter documentation for
an example of the same horrendous misuse of Garamond.

I agree Garamond is a great serif font.  Again, nobody has mentioned
Janson, another great serif font.  Many gifted designers say Janson is
their favorite font.  Garamond is perhaps the most popular serif font
in France, while Janson is perhaps the most popular serif font in West
Germany.  (Don't they use Cyrilic in East Germany?)

Geez. All you guys print books, huh ?

I use fonts more for video titling kinds of stuff, and My favorites
are Bocklin, Broadway, and Tiffany.

Can't imagine reading a whole page of any of those however :-)

--
           Have a nice day or Klortho will rip your nuts off.
richard@gryphon.CTS.COM                          rutgers!marque!gryphon!richard

sandrock@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu.UUCP (05/19/88)

I chose ITC Garamond for the magazine I publish, but also feel that each
application dictates a particular general typestyle.  For example, the
magazine Publish! use Trump Mediaeval (sp?), which is a very dynamic type,
and one which seems very appropriate for their publication. It seems to
remind me of Palatino, another dynamic and artistic typeface (in my book),
yet also seems to be (despite its name) a very "modern" typeface.

Years ago I came across a little pamphlet, which was set in Helios Light,
and I remember being struck by the beauty of the layout. As far as I know,
the nearest PS font to Helios would be Helvetica, but to me it is more of
a special-purpose font than a general-purpose one. I doubt it would look
well in many applications unless properly handled. Also, the use of sans-
serif for text seems to be more common in Europe than in the US. (The Helios
Light pamphlet refered to earlier was from Germany btw.)

Before buying ITC Garamond Light from Adobe, I tried both 10/14 and 11/14
Times Roman for the body of the magazine, and was fairly impressed with it.
(This was using about a 27 pica line--wider lines might not have read as well.)
In my opinion, Garamond does come across with more refinement and grace, in
the case of the magazine (Grail World) I am publishing, but Times is still
very much on my list of favorite font families, along with the others I have
mentioned above.

Best regards,
Mark Sandrock

lee@uhccux.UUCP (Greg Lee) (05/21/88)

From article <4067@gryphon.CTS.COM>, by richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton):
" Geez. All you guys print books, huh ?

I'm just finishing a dictionary -- 6"x9" pages in 2 columns, using
TeX.  I tried Computer Modern Roman and all the text fonts in
the LW+.  The nicest looking and easiest to justify was Times Roman.

	Greg, lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu

paul@torch.UUCP (Paul Andrews) (05/23/88)

In article <52552@sun.uucp> chuq@sun.UUCP (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
>>Haas Helvetica is merely boring.  Univers is UGLY.  Mandrill rules!
>...What are you folks favorite faces? Times need not
>apply, of course...

Palatino Rules OK for large bodies of text. Avant-Garde for titles and stuff.

- Paul

kibo@brazil.UUCP (Jim Parry) (05/24/88)

In article <12840@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>, elwell@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Clayton Elwell) writes:
> chuq@sun.UUCP (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
>     What are you folks favorite faces?  Times need not apply, of course...
well, my favorites for DISPLAY fonts
(in no particular order):
Futura Black
Gill Kayo
Stop
Motter Tekkura
Helvetica Rounded

for TEXT fonts:
Helvetica
Microgramma
Palatino

(you'll notice i like modernific display fonts that hurt the eyes to read. :-)
--
 Kibo (with a long "i")            kibo%mts.rpi.edu@itsgw.rpi.edu
 Jim Parry                         userfe0n@rpitsmts.bitnet