[comp.fonts] non-laser output

aaron@proxftl.UUCP (Aaron Zimmerman) (07/06/88)

I am looking into switching from a macintosh system over to unix (it's too
awkward programming the mac). I don't have access to a laser printer (at
least, not always), but I want to be able to get 150dpi output from a normal,
high resolution, printer. I can do it on the mac, but I want to know if
there's anything out there like TeX for a dot matrix printer (or if TeX can
run on a dmp).

If there is such software out there (I need proportional spacing, italics,
boldface, underlining, font sizes, super/sub scripts, et al.) I'd appreciate
someone telling me where I can get it and about how much it would cost (also
if it's PD/shareware).

I can't specify which printer or which computer, since I don't own it yet,
but it would be something like an IBM-compatible, and the printer would be
whatever I can buy for a reasonable price.

Since it's distinctly possible that my system-to-be would be text only, I
suppose I should specify that what I really need is something that does *not*
require a graphics display (I realized before that I could run something like
pagemaker under microsoft windows to get the desired effect, but, as I said,
I need something for text-only).

Any help would be much appreciated.

      /  Aaron Zimmerman  \       -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
     /   3511 NE 22 Ave.   \      :  Working for Proximity Technology,  :
    <    Fort Lauderdale    >     :  but not speaking on their behalf.  :
     \   Florida - 33308   /      :      UUCP: uunet!proxftl!aaron      :
      \  (3,055,663,511)  /       -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

ken@cs.rochester.edu (Ken Yap) (07/06/88)

|I am looking into switching from a macintosh system over to unix (it's too
|awkward programming the mac). I don't have access to a laser printer (at
|least, not always), but I want to be able to get 150dpi output from a normal,
|high resolution, printer. I can do it on the mac, but I want to know if
|there's anything out there like TeX for a dot matrix printer (or if TeX can
|run on a dmp).

Yes, you can definitely print TeX DVI files on DMPs. Just get a driver
for DVI to your favourite DMP and a set of fonts at the right
resolution.  It may be slow (you may have to go into graphics mode) and
the results will be envious of laser printer output but it is readable.
Some people around here use 144 dpi and 240 dpi DMPs at home.

A good place to start might be the Nelson Beebe DVI drivers on
science.utah.edu in directory aps:<tex.dvi>.

	Ken

gae@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu (Gerald Edgar) (07/06/88)

In article <428@proxftl.UUCP> aaron@proxftl.UUCP (Aaron Zimmerman) writes:

>I am looking into switching from a macintosh system over to unix (it's too
>awkward programming the mac).
>                                     (I need proportional spacing, italics,
>boldface, underlining, font sizes, super/sub scripts, et al.)

This is easier to program on Unix than a Macintosh???

--
  Gerald A. Edgar                               TS1871@OHSTVMA.bitnet
  Department of Mathematics                     gae@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu