[comp.fonts] Fonts for IPA

dow@wjh12.harvard.edu (Dominik Wujastyk) (07/04/88)

In article <1466@csadfa.oz> gyp@csadfa.oz (Patrick Tang) writes:
>Does anyone know where I can get hold of fonts for International
>Phonetic Alphabet (IPA).

Aaargh!  For what printer, for what resolution, for what size, which
version of IPA, what character grid arrangement, and why didn't you post
this query to comp.fonts, where the REAL font heavies have their
discussions?

Personally, I would never touch anything but TeX.  And coincidentally, an
IPA has just been released by Washington Univ.  Being for TeX, it can be
obtained at a range of resolutions and sizes, and can be printed on most
printers.  Here is an extract from a memo of mine on the fonts that are
available for use with TeX.  The memo as a file can be FTPed from
score.stanford.edu in directory TEX.TEXHAX as file WUJASTYK.TXH or
something like that.  (There are actually two files, one is the main text,
and the other is a style file with some formatting commands.)  The article
will also be published in the next issue of TUGboat (9.2), the Journal of
the TeX Users Group.

Pardon the formatting commands; they are LaTeX.

extract :--------------------------------

\section{International Phonetic Alphabet}

\subsection{Washington State University}

Dean Guenther informs me (June 22, 1988) that Washington State
University has an IPA font available. It contains 128 popular IPA
characters and diacritics as specified in the {\em Phonetic Symbol Guide\/} by
Geoffrey K.~Pullum and William A.~Ladusaw (Chicago, London, 1986).
Janene Winter did the \MF\ work on this font.  The character positions
were coordinated with help from Helmut Feldweg at the
Max-Planck-Institut f\"{u}r Psycholinguistik in the Netherlands,
Christina Thiele at Carleton University and some ideas from Brian
MacWhinney at Carnegie Mellon and Karen Mullen at the University of
Kentucky at Louisville.

The font also comes with a set of macros to access the characters
easily.  For
example, \verb|\schwa| prints what you would expect.

\subsubsection{Terms of Availability}

The Washington IPA is available for \$100.  The package includes {\tt
GF}, {\tt PXL} or {\tt PK} fonts at 9, 10 and 12 point (together) in
the Roman face.    The typeface is designed to match the CM Roman
face.  The \MF\ source is not included.

\subsubsection{Contact}

Send a note to Dean Guenther at {\tt guenther@wsuvm1} on Bitnet, or
 {\sl \TeX T1\/} Distribution,\\
 Computing Service Center,\\
 Washington State University,\\
 Pullman, WA  99164--1220, USA.

\subsection{Other Developments}

Georgia Tobin (q.\,v.) has an IPA font, created in old \MF79.

A bitmap IPA font, {\tt ph10}, was created by Jean Pierre Paillet for
use with \TeX\ for typesetting the {\em Canadian Journal of Linguistics\/}.
This font is described, with a printout of the character grid, by
Christina Thiele in
\begin{description}
\item `\TeX, Linguistics, and Journal Production' in {\em \TeX\ Users Group\/}
{\em Eighth\/} {\em Annual Meeting: Conference Proceedings\/}, edited by Dean Guenther
(Providence: TUG, 1988), 5--26.
\end{description}
{\tt ph10} is now superseded by the Washington font.

According to a note from G.~Toal in UK\TeX\ 1988, issue 2, Tibor
Tscheke's company, St\"{u}rtze AG, also has an IPA font for sale.
Toal does not state whether this font was created with \MF, but the
implication is that it is usable with \TeX.  Contact:\\
 Tibor Tscheke, \\
 Head, Computer Science Department,\\
 Universit\"{a}tsdruckerei,\\
 H.~St\"{u}rtze AG,\\
 Beethovenstra$\beta$e 5, \\
 D--8700 Wurzburg, \\
 West Germany.

Kris Holmes and Chuck Bigelow also report that they have a bitmap IPA
font. See {\bf Lucida}.

%\paragraph{Date of information}  June 7, 1988.

\subsection{Ridgeway}

A phonetic alphabet has been developed by Thomas Ridgeway for a large
subrange  of American Indian languages.  The first active projects
using this are in  Salish and Navajo.  This font is presently being
tested and will be available  from the Humanities and Arts Computing
Center at the University of Washington  in early fall 1988.

\subsubsection{Contact}

See under {\bf Tamil} above.

--
bitnet:	 user DOW on the bitnet node HARVUNXW
arpanet: dow@wjh12.harvard.edu

jcb@lfcs.ed.ac.uk (Julian Bradfield) (07/07/88)

In article <249@wjh12.harvard.edu> dow@wjh12.UUCP (Dominik Wujastyk) writes:
>In article <1466@csadfa.oz> gyp@csadfa.oz (Patrick Tang) writes:
>>Does anyone know where I can get hold of fonts for International
>>Phonetic Alphabet (IPA).
>Personally, I would never touch anything but TeX.  And coincidentally, an
>IPA has just been released by Washington Univ.  Being for TeX, it can be
>obtained at a range of resolutions and sizes, and can be printed on most
>printers.  Here is an extract from a memo of mine on the fonts that are
>[ Info on Washington IPA font ]

On the other hand, if you don't want to pay $100, and if like me you
wouldn't even consider paying $100 for a few bitmaps without the MF
source [general plea to the world---don't buy Metafont fonts without
the source: what's the point of a meta-font if you can't actually
make fonts from it, but are constrained only to use the font in those
variations, at those sizes, for those printers, that the whims of the
distributor cater for?], you could drop me a note. I've
hacked together a few IPA symbols (the ones I've needed so far), and
I'd welcome reasons to extend my range. (Of course, the Washington
font is (probably) well-designed and coded, and will probably become
quite popular, so for an official long term use you would prefer them;
but if you just want a few symbols without worrying about long-term
compatibility, let me know.)