[comp.fonts] Richard the fool

kent@xanth.cs.odu.edu (Kent Paul Dolan) (07/02/88)

In article <4674@gryphon.CTS.COM> richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>In article <4611@zodiac.UUCP> cbunjiov@ads.com (Charleen Bunjiovianna) writes:
>>
>>Gadzooks.  First, I'm accused of being a K-word clone, then I'm
>>accused of being a feminist (a hangin' offense where I come from,
>>pardner) and now I'm accused of wanting to hang around. <shudder->
>>Surely you jest.  I'm just killing time, waiting for the next yummy
>>slug recipe.  Then I'll be off.
>
>Look bitch;
>
>You're not the slightest bit amusing, you have nothing to say of any merit
>(or Merrit, for that matter); and your sucking up to the wrong end of a
>bus exhaust has got all of us disgusted. Now why dont you 1) Unsubscribe,
>2) Leave the net, TONIGHT, 3) kill yourself, preferably in that order. Then
>you will have all the time you need to sit in a corner and colour colouring
>books like the silly little cunt that you are.
>
>Have a nice death,
>
>Mr. Nettiquette
>

>--
>      If you were to flatten out Wales, it would be bigger than England.
>richard@gryphon.CTS.COM                               {backbone}!gryphon!richard

Has anyone  besides me noticed   that Richard's toilet  training  failed to
take, and that he is busily turning himself into  an object of derision and
pity all over the net?  I deeply regret any moments  in  which I might have
treated him as  a worthwhile human  being, and promise  not to  repeat such
errors  in the  future.   Now that  I  have bought  my very own  Postscript
Language Reference  Manual against    which  to check his  more  ridiculous
claims, it can be revealed  that he is  also a  large bag  of hot air  that
knows exactly  nothing about computer graphics,   and  wastes lots of other
people's time pretending the opposite.   He also  gives bad and  misleading
advice about maintaining aquaria, and wouldn't know a well designed font if
he were reading it set in 40 point type.

Perhaps more important, the above posting is quite typical of his treatment
of posters in newsgroups all over the net.  If I were managing gryphon, and
exposed to legal  culpability as a knowing  contributor to these libels and
character assassinations, possibly at the cost of my business in legal fees
and damage awards, I  would long ago have  pulled  his  USENet account  and
fired him as a dangerous fool.

But what do I know?  I'm merely literate, the son of an English teacher and
semanticist, and aware of legal issues, raised for nine years by an eminent
lawyer,  why  should I  have the right  to  criticize those who are neither
literate nor temperate?

Kent, the man from xanth.

In article <5719@xanth.cs.odu.edu> kent@cs.odu.edu (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
>In article <4674@gryphon.CTS.COM> richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>>In article <4611@zodiac.UUCP> cbunjiov@ads.com (Charleen Bunjiovianna) writes:
>>>I'm just killing time, waiting for the next yummy
>>>slug recipe.  Then I'll be off.
>>
>>Look [expletive deleted];
>>
>>You're not the slightest bit amusing, you have nothing to say of any merit
>>(or Merrit, for that matter); and your sucking up to the wrong end of a
>>bus exhaust has got all of us disgusted. Now why dont you 1) Unsubscribe,
>>2) Leave the net, TONIGHT, 3) kill yourself, preferably in that order. Then
>>you will have all the time you need to sit in a corner and colour colouring
>>books like the silly little [expletive deleted] that you are.
>>

>Has anyone  besides me noticed   that Richard's toilet  training  failed to
>take, and that he is busily turning himself into  an object of derision and
>pity all over the net?  I deeply regret any moments  in  which I might have
>treated him as  a worthwhile human  being, and promise  not to  repeat such
>errors  in the  future.  [ ... ]

	^ ^ ^  An exceprt from Carl French's latest film.   ^ ^ ^

	"Carl, we're all a bit mystified by your claim that your latest film
stars Marylin Monroe."
	"It does, yes."
	"Who died over twenty years ago."
	"That's correct."
	"Are you lying?"
	"...No, no.  It's just that she's very much in the public eye at the
moment."
	"Does she have a big part?"
	"She *is* the star of the film."
	"...And dead."
	".......Well, we dug her up and gave her a screen test -- a mere
formality in her case... uh.."
	"Can she still act?"
	"....Well, she still that this enormous, a kind of indefineable....
uh.....  No."
	"Was decomposition a problem?"
	"We did have to put her in the fridge between takes."
	"What sorts of things does she do in the film?"
	"Well, we've got her lying on beds, lying on the floor, falling out
of cupboards, scaring the children...."
	"But surely Miss Monroe was cremated."
	"...... Well, we had to use a stand-in for some of the more
*visible* shots."
	"Ah!  Another actress."
	"*Dead* actress, but Monroe was in shot the whole time."
	"How?"
	"...Well, in the fire grate, in the ashtray, in the vacuum
cleaner..."
	"So Marylin does not appear in the film."
	"Not as such....."

Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape	INET: well!ewhac@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
 \_ -_		Recumbent Bikes:	UUCP: pacbell > !{well,unicom}!ewhac
"Hmm, you're right.  Air is made up of suspended meat loaf."  -- Josh Siegel

oleg@gryphon.CTS.COM (Oleg Kiselev) (07/05/88)

In article <5719@xanth.cs.odu.edu> kent@cs.odu.edu (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
>Has anyone  besides me noticed   that Richard's toilet  training  failed to
>take, and that he is busily turning himself into  an object of derision and
>pity all over the net?

Nope.  We all HAVE noticed that K*nt Paul Dolan, a man who does nothing in
his life, but post to the NET and bitch, has managed to spill his bile of
aposting into a number of groups that would have preferred he were used for
target practice back in his uniformed days.

>If I were managing gryphon, and
>exposed to legal  culpability as a knowing  contributor to these libels and
>character assassinations, possibly at the cost of my business in legal fees
>and damage awards, I  would long ago have  pulled  his  USENet account  and
>fired him as a dangerous fool.

If any of us, Gryphon users, were managing xanth we would have killed K*nt's
account long time ago and had put him back into a psychiatric institution
where he belongs, safely chained and padlocked.

>But what do I know?  I'm merely literate, the son of an English teacher and
>semanticist, and aware of legal issues, raised for nine years by an eminent
>lawyer,  why  should I  have the right  to  criticize those who are neither
>literate nor temperate?

Oh, RIGHT!  That's from the same shit who has recently graced alt.config with
a number of vile, demented, filth-choked flames.  Sly, ain't he?

If there is a point I would like to drive home, preferably through K*nt
skull, it's that K*nt Paul Dolan, a self-advertised mentally unwell,
unbalanced individual who does nothing all day but sit at home and flame,
seems to be utterly unable to get it into his shrivelled up brain that he
can't flame and verbally abuse a number of people one day and complain to the
whole NET about a single flame the next.
--

Oleg Kiselev		ARPA:{lcc|bilbo|frodo}.oleg@seas.ucla.edu
(213)452-2435x354	USENET: oleg@gryphon.cts.com

rissa@gryphon.CTS.COM (Patricia O Tuama) (07/05/88)

In article <5719@xanth.cs.odu.edu> k*nt@cs.edo.edu (K*nt Paul Dolan) writes:
>But what do I know?  I'm merely literate, the son of an English teacher and
>semanticist, and aware of legal issues, raised for nine years by an eminent
>lawyer,  why  should I  have the right  to  criticize those who are neither
>literate nor temperate?

Wow, nine whole years with Dad-the-Attorney.  I'm impressed.

But I must tell you, dear, that I was raised for 18 years by
a preeminent psychiatrist.  If you would like to get your com-
mitment papers together, I'll be happy to sign them for you.
Quick, somebody, get me a script pad, I'll even write out a
few Rx's for free.
				         .
				Patricia O Tuama, MD, PhD, MSW
				President of the UN General Counsel
				Empress of the Universe and close
				personal friend of Alfred Adler

maybee@pogo.TEK.COM (Joe Maybee) (07/06/88)

Please, please, OH PLEASE, PLEASE!!!!!!

       Keep this rambling puerile drivel out of comp.fonts, eh?

--
Joe Maybee
...tektronix!pogo!maybee   (503)-685-3572   |       "I will get by...

jfh@rpp386.UUCP (John F. Haugh II) (07/08/88)

In article <5626@pogo.TEK.COM> maybee@pogo.TEK.COM (Joe Maybee) writes:
>Please, please, OH PLEASE, PLEASE!!!!!!
>
>       Keep this rambling puerile drivel out of comp.fonts, eh?

Please, please, OH PLEASE, PLEASE!!!!!!

	Edit the Newsgroups: line, eh?

If you don't edit Newsgroups: lines and add Followup-To: lines, the
articles will just spread like a bad rumor.

Thank You.
--
John F. Haugh II                 +--------- Cute Chocolate Quote ---------
HASA, "S" Division               | "USENET should not be confused with

bakken@hrsw2.UUCP (David E. Bakken) (07/09/88)

In article <5719@xanth.cs.odu.edu>, kent@xanth.cs.odu.edu (Kent Paul Dolan)
writes:

> Has anyone  besides me noticed   that Richard's toilet  training  failed to
> take, and that he is busily turning himself into  an object of derision and
> pity all over the net?

Yes, I have noticed.  A few months back he made a crude reference to
masturbation that was totally off the wall and uncalled for.  I told him
that it was out of place in an unencrypted newsgroup.  He replied with
blistering ad hominem.  I replied to this reply, but after this I gave up
since I didn't have neither the time nor inclination to provide him with
free entertainment (he cc'd it to people).

Richard is the epitome, indeed even a caricature, of two problems with the net:
net.iloveme and failure to appreciate that there is a person at the end
of each article (not just a stream of bytes across the phone line).  It
would be interesting run into him in an elevator at a professional
conference - I suspect he would behave much differently since there is
nobody to impress and definitely a real person there.  Indeed, I
corresponded with gryphon's sysadmin ,Greg Laskin.  He (very wisely) has
a long-standing offer to send Richard to USENIX on the company if Richard
will wear a badge with "richard@gryphon.cts.com" on it.  So far
Richard has not taken him up on it.

> If I were managing gryphon, and
> exposed to legal  culpability as a knowing  contributor to these libels and
> character assassinations, possibly at the cost of my business in legal fees
> and damage awards, I  would long ago have  pulled  his  USENet account  and
> fired him as a dangerous fool.

I have heard parts of threads on this issue in the past and I think the
concensus was that a USENET site that passes on info (and I think even
the one who originates it) has no liabilities - they are a common
carrier much like the phone company.  A publisher, like a magazine or
newspaper, obviously can incur liabilities.

I corresponded with Greg Laskin about this (Richard dropped my reply
to his ad hominem on Greg's desk, so apparently Richard is not
oblivious).  We had a very principled exchange of about 5 letters and
Greg agreed that was inappropriate and said that Richard had been councelled.
He and Greg had been getting mail about it and apparently it had some
affect - Richard seemed to mellow out for about a month.  Unfortunately,
that didn't last too long.

I don't know if I'd have pulled his account yet, but I'd be close by now
even though this is a very serious step and there is no liability or
other costs.
--
Dave Bakken   Boeing Commercial Airplanes		(206) 277-2571
uw-beaver!apcisea!hrsw2!bakken