[comp.fonts] Undergroud comic fonts

ack@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Andy J. Williams) (07/20/88)

In article <4928@gryphon.CTS.COM> richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:

>They are extremeley ornate works of art in the style of some
>rather well known comic artists - R. Crumb, SClay willialms,
>Spain, Rick Griffin, ``Bondo'' bob, etc.
>
>Now, I'm trying to track down a legitimate source of these
>fonts, as I'm sure these were pirated.
>
>Any pointers would be appreciated.

If I remember correctly, these are part of a package called "Mac the knife"
which is a really nice clip art collection which includes fonts, the ones
you named.  I may be mistaken, it's been a few years since I got this stuff.

-Andy

Andy J. Williams '90   |Ack Systems: ack@eleazar.dartmouth.edu|   _   /|
Software Development   +--------------------------------------+   \`o_O' ACK!
Kiewit Computation Ctr |Hello. Set $NAME='Iinigo Montoya' You |     ( )  /
Dartmouth College      |kill -9 my process.  Prepare to vi.   |      U

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (The Napoleon of Crime) (07/22/88)

In article <4928@gryphon.CTS.COM> richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>Somebody slipped me a disk of Mac fonts that were grabbed from a
>BBS somewhere.
>
>They are extremeley ornate works of art in the style of some
>rather well known comic artists - R. Crumb, SClay willialms,
>Spain, Rick Griffin, ``Bondo'' bob, etc.
>
>Now, I'm trying to track down a legitimate source of these
>fonts, as I'm sure these were pirated.

These are the "Mac The Knife" set of fonts; it was originally sold through
Miles Computing.  I bought the set when they came out -- excellent display
fonts from the Underground daze...  Miles, I believe, has gone out of
business, but I'm pretty sure Dubl Click Software (18201 Gresham St.,
Northridge, CA 91325) has bought a lot of their stuff up for their own
Wetpaint clip art and World Class Fonts -- I know they grabbed a lot of Mac
the Knife's clip art.

Good stuff, but all bitmapped...

                        "Not bad.  Were you aiming
                         for the Ferarri?"
                                                   "Yeah, but I thought it
                                                    would have made a bigger
                                                    dent."
---
                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
INTERNET:     moriarty@tc.fluke.COM
Manual UUCP:  {uw-beaver, sun, microsoft}!fluke!moriarty
CREDO:        You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...