[comp.fonts] Commonly-used typeface for German.

karl@umb.umb.edu (Karl Berry.) (07/23/88)

In his excellent book on typography, Emil Ruder mentions
some classic typeface/language pairs -- French and Garamond,
for instance. (Together with some interesting visual examples
of text in the same typeface set in different languages.)
Is a particular typeface the mainstay of German publishing?
I know I could go look at my library's German publications,
but I'm not sure that would be representative.
Information from a German reader would probably be most convincing.

Thanks for any help,
Karl.   karl@umb.edu   ...!harvard!umb!karl

wnp@dcs.UUCP (Wolf N. Paul) (07/24/88)

In article <652@umb.umb.edu> karl@umb.umb.edu (Karl Berry.) writes:
>In his excellent book on typography, Emil Ruder mentions
>some classic typeface/language pairs -- French and Garamond,
>for instance. (Together with some interesting visual examples
>of text in the same typeface set in different languages.)
>Is a particular typeface the mainstay of German publishing?

Garamond (called "Garamond Antiqua" in German) seems to be very
prevalent in NICELY TYPESET books; mass market books tend to use
whatever came standard with the photo typesetter or linotype, which
tends to be some form of Times Roman.

Could you, Karl, send me bibliographical details on Ruder's book --
title, publisher, year, etc. ?

Wolf
UUCP:     killer!dcs!wnp                 ESL: 62832882
DOMAIN:   wnp@dcs.UUCP                   TLX: 910-380-0585 EES PLANO UD