[comp.fonts] APL fonts for HP Laser Jet?

ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (Lee Dickey) (07/20/88)

My friend Murray writes:

| Can anyone identify a source of APL fonts for the Hewlett Packard Laser
| Jet printer for use with Knuth's TeX text formatting program.  Specifically,
| I am looking for both the .TFM font metric files for use with PCTeX (a
| version of TeX that runs on IBM PCs and compatibles and produces the
| device-independent, .DVI, files) and the related pixel files for use
| with the DVILASER/HP LaserJet printer driver.  Either commercial or
| non-commercial sources would be appreciated.
|
| Murray Eisenberg
| Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
| LGRT
| University of Massachusetts
| Amherst, MA 01003 USA
|
|      1-413-545-2859
|      murray@umass.bitnet

If you can help but can not reach Murray at his bitnet address,
write to me, and I will relay the message.

--
    L. J. Dickey, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo.
	ljdickey@WATDCS.UWaterloo.ca	ljdickey@water.BITNET

dao@cs.nott.ac.uk (David Osborne) (07/29/88)

In article <1705@water.waterloo.edu> ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (Lee Dickey) writes:
>My friend Murray writes:
>
>| Can anyone identify a source of APL fonts for the Hewlett Packard Laser
>| Jet printer for use with Knuth's TeX text formatting program.  Specifically,
>| I am looking for both the .TFM font metric files for use with PCTeX (a
>| version of TeX that runs on IBM PCs and compatibles and produces the
>| device-independent, .DVI, files) and the related pixel files for use
>| with the DVILASER/HP LaserJet printer driver.  Either commercial or
>| non-commercial sources would be appreciated.

there are METAFONT sources for the APL character set available,
designed by Aarno Hohti and Okko Kanerva of Helsinki University, Finland.

according to the paper "The Many Faces of TeX", by Dominik Wujastyk,
the METAFONT sources are available by anonymous ftp as file CMAPL10
from score.stanford.edu, in directory <TEX.TUGBOAT>
[I think Dominik's paper will appear in a forthcoming copy of TUGboat,
 the journal of the TeX Users' Group, and describes the availability
 of many non-roman character sets for use with TeX].
other archives, such as the Aston archive on JANET and the various
LISTSERVers at BITNET nodes, should also hold copies.

Murray would then need to process the files with METAFONT, of which there
is a PC implementation, to produce the .tfm and .gf files he wants.

dave.
--
David Osborne
Cripps Computing Centre, University of Nottingham, Nottingham NG7 2RD, UK