[comp.fonts] was Re: PostScript compatible printers, Is: be gentle

tow@parcvax.Xerox.COM (Robert Francis Tow) (08/11/88)

In article <38253@linus.UUCP> ted@mbunix (Ede) writes:

>Open your eyes and your mind before engaging your mouth.
>
>The Imagen fonts require no more or less space than the Adobe fonts,
>regardless of where they are stored.  If you buy an inexpensive laser
>printer w/o a hard disk that only talks 9600 baud, you can expect to
>spend about one minute to download a face.  If you've got ethernet
>and/or a hard disk, it'll take less time.
>
>*** Flame On ***
>
>I think Mr. Cooper is being very fair describing the Imagen product.
>I you don't like Imagen, or UltraScript, or the color of the box, DON'T
>BUY THE F*CKING PRINTER.  If you want to ask intelligent questions
>about Imagen/UltraScript, please do so.  If you're going to get into a
>pissing contest (and I'm guessing that you will based on your assinine
>comment about font sizes), do it through email.  This sniping is
>getting annoying.
>
>*** Flame Off ***
>
>Standard disclaimers apply.
>
>Ted Ede -- ted@mitre-bedford.arpa -- The MITRE Corporation -- Burlington Road
>|        -- Bedford MA, 01730 -- Mail Stop B015 -- (617) 271-2524 --        |
>|                   - this line intentionally left blank -                  |
>+---------------------------------------------------------------------------+

I find this sort of posting to be disappointing, to say the least. I seldom
protest this sort of thing; there are well known personalities on the net(s)
who will never change; but since this is the first time I have seen such
here in this discussion group from this person, I am making such a (rare)
protest.

Mr. Ede, I ask that you not engage in in such personal and ungentle invective.
If you wish to inform all of us of the facts of a disagreement, and your
professional point of view, I believe that we all welcome being told
something on the order of "that happens not to be the case", with an
explanation attached.

It is certainly true that there is much misinformation presented as fact
on the net(s); there are indeed points of view that may be perceived as
noxious; but I should wish to see a free competition of ideas and exchange
of information in the best tradition of the sciences.

By the way, having used Imagen, Apple, and Xerox laser printers, I can say
with the honesty that comes only from direct and detailed experience that
none of them do what I would like a printer to do. But that will change.
I and others are engaged in doing exactly that. We read this discussion group
in order to form a community; one that exchanges ideas, results, experiences,
suggestions... information. Please support us in this effort.

---

Rob Tow
Member Research Staff
Electronic Document Lab