[comp.fonts] The New Yorker

jat@hpsemc.HP.COM (Joe Talmadge) (09/15/88)

HELLO   HEllo  hello   ...

ECHO    ECho    echo   ...

Anybody here?

Does anybody know the name of the font they use on the cover of _New
Yorker_ magazine?  I've been referring to it as such, but Sexton makes
fun of me.

Joe Talmadge			Trust me.  I know what I'm doing.
hplabs!hpda!hpsemc!jat
jat%hpsemc@hplabs.HP.COM

zwicky@pterodactyl.cis.ohio-state.edu (Elizabeth D. Zwicky) (09/20/88)

In article <9770001@hpsemc.HP.COM> jat@hpsemc.HP.COM (Joe Talmadge) writes:
>Does anybody know the name of the font they use on the cover of _New
>Yorker_ magazine?  I've been referring to it as such, but Sexton makes
>fun of me.

I believe that that font is called "New Yorker", honest to God.
I don't remember where I picked this up; I only remember it because
it seemed odd. As I remember, the separate characters were drawn
for specific titles ("New Yorker", "Talk of the Town") and somebody
had to go back later to draw the rest of them.

	Elizabeth

irv@happym.UUCP (Irving Wolfe) (09/22/88)

In article <22029@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> zwicky@pterodactyl.cis.ohio-state.edu (Elizabeth D. Zwicky) writes:
>In article <9770001@hpsemc.HP.COM> jat@hpsemc.HP.COM (Joe Talmadge) writes:
>>Does anybody know the name of the font they use on the cover of _New
>>Yorker_ magazine?  I've been referring to it as such, but Sexton makes
>I believe that that font is called "New Yorker", honest to God.

The Kelsey Company used to sell actual metal type (individual letters) of
this font under the name New Yorker.

--
   Irving Wolfe      irv@happym.UUCP              Happy Man Corp, 119 Aloha St
   206/282-9598      tikal!camco!happym!irv            Seattle, WA  98109-3799

jimi@h-three.UUCP (jimi) (09/23/88)

In article <9770001@hpsemc.HP.COM>, jat@hpsemc.HP.COM (Joe Talmadge) writes:

> Does anybody know the name of the font they use on the cover of _New
> Yorker_ magazine?  I've been referring to it as such, but Sexton makes
> fun of me.

I called the _New Yorker_ and this is what I found out about
their typefaces:

    logo, headings/titles, inside headers: Irvin

    	Irvin, designed for the magazine by typographer Ray Irvin,
	is proprietary to the _New Yorker_.

    Table of Contents titles, "Goings On About Town" headings: Vogue Bold

    "Goings On About Town" body text, outside headers: Caslon Old Style

    Article body text: Caslon Old Face, Caslon Old Face Italic

    Table of Contents authors, cartoon captions: Caslon Old Style Italic

There are 1000s of variations of Caslon, and I didn't ask who provided the
type, though I did find out who does their typesetting. BTW they've been
using phototypesetting for about 10 yrs, and have changed machines several
times.
and hey made their type.
--
Jim Ingram	          uunet!h-three!jimi | jimi%h-three@uunet.uu.net
h-three Systems Corporation   P.O. Box 12557 RTP NC 27709   919 549 8334