[comp.fonts] the elusive Helvetica Light

dberry@lanai.cs.ucla.edu (10/19/88)

One of our users has requested a Helvetica light font. I looked in the
Adobe catalog, and it appears that the Helvetica Light is what is already
distributed with the standard PostScript printers. However, a graphic
designer tells me that what comes out of the LaserWriters, the QMSs, and
the Linotronic 300s is Helvetica Medium. He showed me a sample of H Light,
Medium, and Dark, and I had to agree with him. So is the Helvetica
supplied with the printers Light or Medium. If the latter, who markets a
true Light?

Thanks
Dan

ted@mitre-bedford.ARPA (Edward J. Ede) (10/21/88)

In article <16938@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> dberry@CS.UCLA.EDU () writes:

>One of our users has requested a Helvetica light font. I looked in the
>Adobe catalog, and it appears that the Helvetica Light is what is already
>distributed with the standard PostScript printers.

No, it's Helvetica-Narrow.  Helvetica-narrow is just regular helvetica
that is condensed in the x-direction with a scaling factor.  (It's not
a "real" font.)  Adobe package #13 has both Helvetica-Light and
Helvetica-Black (and obliques).

>However, a graphic
>designer tells me that what comes out of the LaserWriters, the QMSs, and
>the Linotronic 300s is Helvetica Medium. He showed me a sample of H Light,
>Medium, and Dark, and I had to agree with him.

That doesn't surprise me.

>So is the Helvetica
>supplied with the printers Light or Medium. If the latter, who markets a
>true Light?

Again, it's Helvetica-Narrow.  Adobe sells Helvetica-Light.  I would
believe it is a true light because of Adobe's agreements with the
font houses.  I have a copy of Helvetica-Light and will print some samples for
you if you send me the PS that you want printed (I bought the package
for Helvetica-Black).

Also, give Adobe a call.  They have a font magazine that's free.  The
samples are pretty good.  They also have a font catalog ($15).  It has
better samples than the magazine.

hope this helps, ted
Ted Ede -- ted@mitre-bedford.arpa -- The MITRE Corporation -- Burlington Road
| linus!mbunix!ted -- Bedford MA, 01730 -- Mail Stop B015 -- (617) 271-2524 |
|                   - this line intentionally left blank -                  |