[comp.fonts] copying fonts

In article <13120@oberon.USC.EDU> crum@lipari.usc.edu (Gary L. Crum) writes:
>By the way, is it legal to build and use a PostScript font from commercially
>printed material using an outline-tracing tool? ...

Pirating a font in this manner is not illegal in the US; font names are
protected by trademark but font outlines are unprotected.  The situation
is different in some other countries.  You may also want to consider
whether what you propose is ethical, as opposed to merely legal.
--
The dream *IS* alive...         |    Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
but not at NASA.                |uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) (11/06/88)

In article <1988Oct31.183632.14050@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <13120@oberon.USC.EDU> crum@lipari.usc.edu (Gary L. Crum) writes:
>>By the way, is it legal to build and use a PostScript font from commercially
>>printed material using an outline-tracing tool? ...
>
>Pirating a font in this manner is not illegal in the US; font names are
>protected by trademark but font outlines are unprotected.  The situation
>is different in some other countries.  You may also want to consider
>whether what you propose is ethical, as opposed to merely legal.

Not only that, but apparantly the bitmaps and outline binaries
themselves can't be copyrighted according to this little blurb:

[**** begin included material ****]

Well, here it is.  Check out the Oct 11 issue of MacWeek, page 55:

    US Copyright Office Denies Protection for Digitized Typefaces

"The US Copyright Office last month sent a resounding no to font publishers
seeking copyright protection for digitized typefaces.

"The decision, reached after almost three years of deliberation, denies
type publishers copyright protection for 'computer instructions or data
that specify fixation or depiction of typeface or letter form.'"

It goes on to say that this not only covers bit-map font data, but outline
font descriptions as well, and that the only current recourse for type
publishers would be to go to Congress and get a law passed.  The reason
given for the decision is the Copyright Office's standing policy that
typefaces lack original authorship and have a distinct utilitarian
function.

     James Bayless
     New Horizons Software, Inc.

[**** end included material ****]

Does this mean I can go out and buy every font Adobe sells and slap
"fabulous flying font brothers" on them and sell them as mine ?

--
        ``You must have an IQ of at least half a million''  -- Popeye
richard@gryphon.CTS.COM    {backbone...err, well connected site}!gryphon!richard

jimb@dhw68k.cts.com (Jim Bacon) (11/11/88)

In article <8443@gryphon.COM> richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>In article <1988Oct31.183632.14050@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>>In article <13120@oberon.USC.EDU> crum@lipari.usc.edu (Gary L. Crum) writes:
>>>By the way, is it legal to build and use a PostScript font from commercially
>>>printed material using an outline-tracing tool? ...
>>
>>Pirating a font in this manner is not illegal in the US; font names are
>>protected by trademark but font outlines are unprotected.  The situation
>>is different in some other countries.  You may also want to consider
>>whether what you propose is ethical, as opposed to merely legal.
>
>Does this mean I can go out and buy every font Adobe sells and slap
>"fabulous flying font brothers" on them and sell them as mine ?

My company is a supplier of fonts in soft and cartridge format for laser
printers and we are very concerned about this too.  I have recently dumped
the data from an HP cartridge and from a competitors replacement and
the only difference I found was the copyright noticed had been changed.
The bitmaps and header data were identical in all other instances.

I wrote to the Copyright Office, Washington D.C., attn: Dorothy Schrader,
and received the actual policy decision from Sep. 28 this year.  Ms.
Schrader said that no recourse is possible thru copyright, but action
might be brought along lines of fair trade practices, trade secret law, etc.

of course, one can always sue the Copyright Office, she said also, and try
to get the policy reversed in the courts. :-)

It is irritating to see this practice of copying fonts permitted.  We have
invested a substantial amount of time into obtaining licensed fonts, and
I do not like the prospect of having all of my products copied without my
being able to stop it.

Newsgroups: comp.fonts,misc.legal
Subject: Re: copying fonts
--
"Shoot first, and call whatever   |             Jim Bacon, Anacom General Corp.
 you hit the target!"             |                {turnkey,zardoz}!anacom1!jim

douglasg@hpgrla.HP.COM (@Douglas Genetten) (11/19/88)

It is, or at least has been, possible to get a typeface design patented.
Check any old ATF specimen book; they're loaded with patents.  I've heard
the design has to be preceived as noticibly different than all others---by
a layman.

Someone did a thesis here at RIT on the subject.

Doug Gennetten

Rocheste read in the rsh man page where you can create a