[comp.fonts] Chinese character input scheme -- call for references

thomson@wasatch.UUCP (Rich Thomson) (12/13/88)

[ Please excuse the large newsgroup list, but also note that follow-ups are
  directed to comp.graphics. ]

I'm interested in a scheme for entering Chinese characters via a keyboard.
I've come up with the idea on my own, but the scheme seems obvious.  So
ovious that I imagine someone has already implemented it.

The basic problem is to design a user interface for input of Chinese
characters in a fashion that is analogous to the writing of the character
as a sequences of strokes.  There are 24 different basic strokes that I
know of for Chinese calligraphy, although there may be more.

When someone writes a Chinese character, the basic strokes are always written
in accordance with a set of rules (left to right, top to bottom, etc).  The
sequence of basic strokes comprising a character is consistent from person
to person.  Similarly, when printing the letter 'h', we are always taught to
draw the stem '|' first, and then the tail to complete the letter.

The user interface for input of the character should use the stroke
information (encoded on a key, for instance) in combination with the order
of the strokes to uniquely identify a given Chinese character, or perhaps
learn a new character.  The Roman alphabet equivalent is already
implemented in real-time spelling checker/completion programs that
currently run on many machines.

I believe that this is a most natural scheme for entering the characters as
it mimics the act of writing the character calligraphically.  This means
the user need only adapt their current method of writing characters for
machine input.  Similar to learning to type English words by pressing
sequences of letter keys in conjunction with the SHIFT key.

There is also the subtle issue of size in conjunction with the stroke type
and sequence.  The same stroke appears in many different characters but of
different sizes, so the user must be provided some fashion of adjusting the
size of the stroke to fit the character; perhaps an ALT, SHIFT or META key
can serve to identify this modifier to the stroke.

Given this type of a scheme, does anyone know of any implementations of
similar character entry systems, possibly for Japanese or other oriental
character sets?  Are there any journals (again, possibly Japanese) devoted
to the problem of oriental native language I/O?  Any references to
articles, journals, books, programs, etc., would be greatly appreciated.

					Thanks in advance,
						-- Rich
--
Rich Thomson	thomson@cs.utah.edu  {bellcore,hplabs}!utah-cs!thomson
"Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with

sun@venus.ycc.yale.edu (12/14/88)

In article <789@wasatch.UUCP>, thomson@wasatch.UUCP (Rich Thomson) writes...

>The user interface for input of the character should use the stroke
>information (encoded on a key, for instance) in combination with the order
>of the strokes to uniquely identify a given Chinese character, or perhaps
                   ^^^^^^^^
>learn a new character.

	This scheme doesn't solve the problem of ambiguity, which is one of
the major obstacles in Chinese character coding systems. For example, the
character Jia3 (as in Jia3, Yi3, Bin3, Ding1, i.e., 1, 2, 3, 4, you know
what I meant) and the character Shen1 (a family name) have the same number
and sequence of strokes, and the same size of strokes. The only difference
is the relative position of the last vertical stroke.

	Besides, the number of keys pressed could be very large. Hence,
even if such an implementation exists, it is a very inefficient one.

>er sets?  Are there any journals (again, possibly Japanese) devoted
>to the problem of oriental native language I/O?  Any references to
>articles, journals, books, programs, etc., would be greatly appreciated.
	I rember I read somewhere that there was a conference dedicated for
Chinese Word Processing. But I fogot where. Maybe you can look for it.

geoff@lloyd.camex.uucp (Geoffrey Knauth) (12/14/88)

In article <45616@yale-celray.yale.UUCP> sun@venus.ycc.yale.edu writes:
>	Besides, the number of keys pressed could be very large. Hence,
>even if such an implementation exists, it is a very inefficient one.
>
>>er sets?  Are there any journals (again, possibly Japanese) devoted
>>to the problem of oriental native language I/O?  Any references to
>>articles, journals, books, programs, etc., would be greatly appreciated.
>	I rember I read somewhere that there was a conference dedicated for
>Chinese Word Processing. But I fogot where. Maybe you can look for it.

I suggest you contact IBM, which has done a lot of work in China.  You
should also read the 11/21/88 edition of the Seybold Report on
Publishing Systems, Vol. 18, No. 5, "IPEX, Part III: Non-Roman
Languages Take Center Stage."  An excerpt from that article reads,
"HTS [High Technology Systems, an industry leader] uses the so-called
'Dr. Zhi' method of typing Chinese, whereby four basic elements (out
of a set of 180) are used to construct a character.  Some common
characters can be entered with a single keystroke."
--
Geoffrey S. Knauth               ARPA: geoff%lloyd@hcsfvax.harvard.edu
Camex, Inc.                      UUCP: geoff@lloyd.uucp or hcsfvax!lloyd!geoff

curtc@pogo.GPID.TEK.COM (Curtis Charles) (12/15/88)

In article <789@wasatch.UUCP>, thomson@wasatch.UUCP (Rich Thomson) writes...
>The user interface for input of the character should use the stroke
>information (encoded on a key, for instance) in combination with the order
>of the strokes to uniquely identify a given Chinese character, or perhaps

Several years ago I saw a prototype for a keyboard well suited to
Chinese.  (I know very little about Chinese, so take this with a grain
of salt...)   The keyboard was flat, and lacked the tactile feeling
we've come to enjoy, and was much like a membrain keyboard.  The reason
that it was flat was that the glyphs were projected from behind onto
the keyboard.  Apparently, the Chinese alphabet can be thought of as
tree structured, so getting a character (glyph?) on the screen became a
process of menu selection.  Several thousand characters were programmed
in, and it took 3 to 5 (?) "menu picks" to get to a glyph on the screen.

Thought about a graphic tablet with recognition software?  (Probably
tougher than recognition for English...)
Curt Charles              | "Let our swords run red with the blood of
curtc@pogo.GPID.TEK.COM   | infidels..."    Sean Connery

wu@sunybcs.uucp (Wan-Chung Wu) (12/15/88)

In article <45616@yale-celray.yale.UUCP> sun@venus.ycc.yale.edu writes:

>	I rember I read somewhere that there was a conference dedicated for
>Chinese Word Processing. But I fogot where. Maybe you can look for it.

I know at least one annual conference discusses all stuff about Chinese
Processing.  The name of the conference is "International Conference on
Chinese Computings".

The proceedings of that conference should be able to give you some ideas
of Chinese input methods.

The one I attended is held on June 14~17, Chicago, IL, 1987. If somebody
want to know where can you get the proceeding, please let me know and I
will try my best to give you the pointer.

	wu@cs.buffalo.edu

        Graphics Group
	University Computing Service
	State University of New York at Buffalo

jdm@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (James D Mooney,205K,7,2913548) (12/15/88)

From article <283@lloyd.camex.uucp>, by geoff@lloyd.camex.uucp (Geoffrey Knauth):
> In article <45616@yale-celray.yale.UUCP> sun@venus.ycc.yale.edu writes:
>>>er sets?  Are there any journals (again, possibly Japanese) devoted
>>>to the problem of oriental native language I/O?  Any references to
>>>articles, journals, books, programs, etc., would be greatly appreciated.
>>	I rember I read somewhere that there was a conference dedicated for
>>Chinese Word Processing. But I fogot where. Maybe you can look for it.
>
> I suggest you contact IBM, which has done a lot of work in China.  You
> should also read the 11/21/88 edition of the Seybold Report on
> Publishing Systems, Vol. 18, No. 5, "IPEX, Part III: Non-Roman
> Languages Take Center Stage."  An excerpt from that article reads,
> "HTS [High Technology Systems, an industry leader] uses the so-called
> 'Dr. Zhi' method of typing Chinese, whereby four basic elements (out
> of a set of 180) are used to construct a character.  Some common
> characters can be entered with a single keystroke."

Another place this subject is discussed is at the annual PROTEXT
conferences organized by Professor J. Miller of Trinity College,
Dublin, Ireland.  PROTEXT IV, held October 1987 in Boston,
included some relevant papers including:

	Text Processing in Ideographic Languages, by Loh
		Shiu-Chang and Kong Luan

	Key Problems in Developing an Advanced Chinese Text
		Processing and Typesetting System, by
		Wang Xuan

Proceedings of all PROTEXT Conferences are available from

	Boole Press Limited
	P.O. Box 5
	Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin, Ireland

Jim Mooney				Dept. of Stat. & Computer Science
(304) 293-3607				West Virginia University
					Morgantown, WV 26506
USENET:  {allegra,bellcore,cadre,idis,psuvax1}!pitt!wvucsb!wvucsa!jdm

wu@sunybcs.uucp (Wan-Chung Wu) (12/17/88)

To those who are interested in the Chinese Input schemes,

	As I promise to "try my best to give you a pointer" for the
   proceedings of International Conference on Chinese Computing, here
   are the persons you should contact with:

    (Because there are too many people to request the information,
     I have to post the information here to save my tight schedule :-)  )

	Prof. Shi-Kuo Chang
	Department of Computer Science
	University of Pittsburgh

	Dr. Patrick S.P. Wang
	Department of Computer Science
	Northeastern University
	Boston, Massachusetts

	Dr. An-Chi Liu
	Illinois Institute of Technology
	Chicago, Illinois

	The following are a list of papers in proceeding of ICCC'87
    that related to Chinese Input:

	1. W.C.P. Yu, "Some New Advancement in High Speed Two-Stroke Chinese
	   Input System".

	2. H.L. Soo, "A Generic Chinese Input System".

	3. W.H. Wu, "Chinese Characters Encoded in Stroke-Sequences".

        4. J. Zhu and X. Liu, "A New Input System for Chinese Language
	   Processing".

	5. K.Y. Cheng and F.K. Yu, "On Disambiguous Chinese Phonetic Input"

	6. A. Mathur and F. Fowler, "Design of a Dynamically Reconfigurable
	   Keyboard".

	7. A. MacDonald and Y.H. Ng, "Sequence Prediction for Chinese
	   Language Input".

	8. H.C. Tien, "PINXXIEE: The Chinese Computer Input Language".

	9. V.C. Yeh, "The Phonetic Chinese Language Computer System".

       10. T.Y. Kiang and T.H. Cheng, "Survey on the Establishment of
	   Indexing System for Composed Chinese Characters".

       11. T. Huang, "The Dai-E Chinese Encoding Method".

	I am sure that there should be more interesting papers
     in the proceeding of ICCC'88 or former ones.

	If you still have question, send me mail again.

	Sorry to response you guys so late!

	wu@cs.buffalo.edu

	Graphics Group
	Univeristy Computing Service