[comp.fonts] Monospaced Helvetica.

karl@umb.umb.edu (Karl Berry.) (01/18/89)

A monospaced Helvetica is not the right term; Helvetica
is not a monospaced typeface.

A fixed-width sans serif typeface presents a number
of technical challenges. If one inspects Courier, it
is apparent that the constraint of fixed-width has led
to elongation of serifs. This is especially
obvious in the ``l'' or ``i''. (The ``r'' also looks
pretty amusing when seen outside a context, as Chuck
Bigelow once demonstrated in a talk.)
In a sans serif typeface, clearly the serifs cannot
be emphasized, and so some other solution must be found.
I don't think a good one exists, which is why no
fixed-width sans serif typeface has come into general
use, the way Courier has.

A far better solution is to fix video displays so that
they can display variable width characters.
Not necessarily a bitmap display, but simply having
characters of different widths on your standard CRT would
be a vast improvement. What irks me is that even on bitmap
displays, variable width type can't be used as your basic
font, at least in shelltool (SunView) and xterm (X11).
(If anyone has any clues about how to fix the latter to
allow this, I'd appreciate it.)

Karl.
karl@umb.edu     ...!harvard!umb!karl

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (01/19/89)

In article <735@umb.umb.edu> karl@umb.umb.edu (Karl Berry.) writes:
> I don't think a good one exists, which is why no fixed-width sans serif
> typeface has come into general use, the way Courier has.

	What about Orator and Letter Gothic?  Just look in any IBM Selectric
typeball catalog.  Ok, maybe Orator would make a typographer puke, but for
those of us who really need a monospaced font but don't like Courier, it
would be a godsend.  Around here, people spend a lot of time printing DNA
sequences.  Ever seen what happens to:

1          11         21         31         41         51
AACGCTACTA CCATTAGTAG AATTGATGCC ACCTTTTCAG CTCGCGCCCC AAATGAAAAT
TTGCGATGAT GGTAATCATC TTAACTACGG TGGAAAAGTC GAGCGCGGGG TTTACTTTTA

(the second line is essentially 'tr ACGT TGCA' done to the first line) when
set in proportional type?  It turns out that in most typefaces A, C, G, and
T are roughly the same width, but the results are still pretty disgusting,
and essentially useless.  Not to mention that DNA just wasn't designed to be
kerned :-).
--
Roy Smith, System Administrator
Public Health Research Institute

pls@sorsac.UUCP (P. L. Sullivan) (01/20/89)

HP's Line Printer font is very similar to Helvetica, and is fixed width.