[comp.fonts] PC fonts for MAC?

albaugh@dms.UUCP (Mike Albaugh) (01/12/89)

	A friend asked me to post this. He would like to find a
Macintosh version of the IBM PC screen fonts. The reason is to
include representative screen dumps in the printed documentation
(prepared on a MAC) of a program he wrote on the MAC which has
now been ported (by someone else) to the PC. I would prefer an
email response if anyone has such a wierd thing (or a pointer).
I _sometimes_ read comp.fonts, but neither of us reads comp.sys.mac
( anymore :-(, no time), and he almost never picks up his mail.

				Thanks in advance,
				Mike (for Ed Rotberg)

blob@Apple.COM (Brian Bechtel) (01/12/89)

In article <595@dms.UUCP> albaugh@dms.UUCP (Mike Albaugh) writes:

>	A friend asked me to post this. He would like to find a
>Macintosh version of the IBM PC screen fonts. The reason is to
>include representative screen dumps in the printed documentation
>(prepared on a MAC) of a program he wrote on the MAC which has
>now been ported (by someone else) to the PC.

	Frank Nichols
	755 East College Avenue
	Westerville, OH 43081
	(614) 898-0145
	(614) 890-7944 (BBS)

sells a complete set of such fonts for $10, $25, or $50, depending upon
your requirements.  (More money gives you more sizes, etc.)  This
includes the laserwriter as well as screen fonts.

FoxBase includes these fonts in their FoxBase+/Mac database package.

--Brian Bechtel		blob@apple.com		"My opinions, not Apple's"

kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) (01/13/89)

In article <411@internal.Apple.COM> blob@Apple.COM (Brian Bechtel) writes:
<In article <595@dms.UUCP> albaugh@dms.UUCP (Mike Albaugh) writes:
<>
<>	A friend asked me to post this. He would like to find a
<>Macintosh version of the IBM PC screen fonts. The reason is to
<>include representative screen dumps in the printed documentation
<>(prepared on a MAC) of a program he wrote on the MAC which has
<>now been ported (by someone else) to the PC.
<
<	Frank Nichols
<	755 East College Avenue
<	Westerville, OH 43081
<	(614) 898-0145
<	(614) 890-7944 (BBS)
<
<sells a complete set of such fonts for $10, $25, or $50, depending upon
<your requirements.  (More money gives you more sizes, etc.)  This
<includes the laserwriter as well as screen fonts.

Do any of these fonts look like a monospaced Helvetica? The FileNet fonts
look just like Helvetica, but they are monospaced. We would love to find
a font that represents our screen more accurately. Right now we just use
Helvetica, so spacing is never accurate. But this seems preferable to
using any of the other monospaced fonts that don't look like the same
typeface. We would not want to use an ImageWriter font.

Thanks for any leads.

Shirley Kehr

leech@zeta.cs.unc.edu (Jonathan Leech) (01/15/89)

>In article <411@internal.Apple.COM> blob@Apple.COM (Brian Bechtel) writes:
><In article <595@dms.UUCP> albaugh@dms.UUCP (Mike Albaugh) writes:
><>	A friend asked me to post this. He would like to find a
><>Macintosh version of the IBM PC screen fonts. The reason is to
><>include representative screen dumps in the printed documentation
><>(prepared on a MAC) of a program he wrote on the MAC which has
><>now been ported (by someone else) to the PC.

    I have bitmaps for IBM PC MDA fonts in 2 sizes (8x8 and 8x14 as I
recall). I can post them to this group if there's interest. This would
prbably be in the form of X10 fonts (.onx format). I have no way to
create Mac fonts. These fonts have been used for producing screen
dumps for documentation in the past.
    If you're interested, MAIL (do not post) saying so
						      .
--
    Jon Leech (leech@cs.unc.edu)    __@/
    ``You're everything I ever wanted in a human AND an extraterrestrial.''

cole@sas.UUCP (Tom Cole) (01/16/89)

[Question about the availablility of PC fonts for a MAC]

You might try to find someone who has Soft PC, and use their Mac for
screen dumps.  We have been very happy with the appearance of the
screens from Soft PC, which includes PC-style fonts in a variety of
sizes for conformance with 24x80 versus 24x40 screens, etc.

Of course, these fonts are part of the Soft PC product, so you would
have to make appropriate arrangements.  Perhaps the folks at Insignia
would like to release these into the public domain? ;-)

Tom Cole
SAS Institute Inc.
{anywhere}mcnc|rti|sas|cole

jackd@copper.SDP.TEK.COM (Jack Decker) (01/17/89)

In article <78626@felix.UUCP> kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) writes:

>Do any of these fonts look like a monospaced Helvetica? The FileNet fonts
>look just like Helvetica, but they are monospaced. We would love to find
>a font that represents our screen more accurately. Right now we just use
>Helvetica, so spacing is never accurate. But this seems preferable to
>using any of the other monospaced fonts that don't look like the same
>typeface. We would not want to use an ImageWriter font.

I have been searching for a san serif font that is monospaced for
a while too, without success.  Adobe's monospace fonts are either
typewriter looking things (Courior, Prestige Elite, American
Typewriter) or too weird (Orator, Machine).  I'm afraid that Mr.
Nichols' creation, DOS, will be pretty ugly although that is
understandable since he trying to emulate the IBM PC character set.
He is sending me DOS this week so I will be able to give a more
extensive review later this week.

Anyone know of a monospace Helvetica clone out there?

jack decker

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) (01/17/89)

In article <765@sas.UUCP> cole@sas.UUCP (Tom Cole) writes:

>Of course, these fonts are part of the Soft PC product, so you would
>have to make appropriate arrangements.  Perhaps the folks at Insignia
>would like to release these into the public domain? ;-)

According to the copyright office, ALL fonts are public domain.

(He said, referring to the U.S. Copyright offic's recent decision
that ``computer tyfaces lack distinct authorship, and because of
their utilitarian value, we will not uphold any copyrights for
computer font binaries'' or words to that effect)

The binaries were the only thing about fonts you have been
able to copyright, apart from trademarking the name.

Personally, I think it's the copyright office trying to goad
the big (and small) Type companies into trying to get
congress to pass a law protecting typefaces. They as much
said so, inthe (same) statement: ``...if you don't like
it, go to congress and  get a law passed''.

--
   ``In a few years, the only thing that will be made in America is a deal''
richard@gryphon.COM   {...}!gryphon!richard   gryphon!richard@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov

mha@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Mark H. Anbinder) (01/22/89)

In article <10839@gryphon.COM> richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:

>According to the copyright office, ALL fonts are public domain.
>
>(He said, referring to the U.S. Copyright offic's recent decision
>that ``computer tyfaces lack distinct authorship, and because of
>their utilitarian value, we will not uphold any copyrights for
>computer font binaries'' or words to that effect)
>
>richard@gryphon.COM   {...}!gryphon!richard   gryphon!richard@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov

Really?  I'd heard something along those lines a couple of months ago.  What
exactly was the decision regarding?

I'd be very interested to hear someone from Adobe who reads comp.sys.mac
offer their opinions on all of this.  Would they, or other typeface
vendors, have ANY legal recourse if people started wholesale copying of
commercial typefaces?

My concern would be that, with nothing LEGAL to hold them back, people
with nothing ETHICAL holding them back might just start taking this ruling
as an excuse to distribute typefaces indiscriminately.

--
Mark H. Anbinder                                ** MHA@TCGould.tn.cornell.edu
NG33 MVR Hall, Media Services Dept.             ** THCY@CRNLVAX5.BITNET