[comp.fonts] Copyright and Fonts

djb@wjh12.harvard.edu (David J. Birnbaum) (01/30/89)

A number of rumors has been circulated here and in other newsgroups
about the copyright protection extended to digitized fonts.  I would
be grateful if anyone could provide any reliable information about
whether font names, bitmapped fonts, font outlines, scaling programs,
individual characters, design features (e.g., serif design), or any-
thing else related to digitized fonts can be protected by copyright.
I have heard rumors that *nothing* pertaining to fonts is protected.
At the other extreme, I have heard that font names are protected, so
that you or I could not create and distribute a "Times Roman" font
without paying a licensing fee.

I would appreciate any reliable information anyone can provide.
Please do not circulate rumors - I already have more of those than I
need :-).  One reference someone mentioned was an article about font
copyright by Chuck Bigelow; a more precise pointer to where I could
find this article would be very welcome.  Any first hand information
or pointers to informed articles, either in legal or computer litera-
ture, would also be welcome.

Please email all replies.  I will summarize to this group if I learn
anything worthwhile.

Thank you.

--David J. Birnbaum

David J. Birnbaum                djb@wjh12.harvard.edu [Internet]
11 Adams Terrace                 djb@wjh12.uucp [UUCP]
Cambridge, MA 02138 USA          djb@harvunxw.bitnet [Bitnet]
617-492-8511 [voice]

Bitnet warning: Please address bitnet mail only to the address
given above.  No other bitnet address is reliable.  Please do not
trust the reply feature of your mailer to supply the correct
address.

eager@ringworld.Sun.COM (Mike Eager) (02/02/89)

In article <326@wjh12.harvard.edu> djb@wjh12.UUCP (David J. Birnbaum) writes:
>I have heard rumors that *nothing* pertaining to fonts is protected.
>At the other extreme, I have heard that font names are protected, so
>that you or I could not create and distribute a "Times Roman" font
>without paying a licensing fee.

There are several different forms of protection for what the lawyers
call intellectual property.  These are: patent, copyright, trademark,
trade secret, and (the newest) semiconductor mask protection.

Patent covers processes or inventions.  It does not cover any natural
laws or abstract procedures (such as a mathematical or physical law).

Copyright covers the way something is expressed, but not the underlying
concepts.

Trademark covers the symbol or name used to identify a product in commerce.

Trade secret covers information divulged in confidence to another under
contractual limits.

Semiconductor masks cover just them.

The courts have held that it is not possible to copyright the alphabet,
any alphabet.  There is no protection for designs of any kind, such as
fonts, computer architectures, dress patterns, building architectures,
etc.  A number of companies have tried to extend copyright into this
area, with various success or difficulty.

The names for fonts are like the names for other products.  Helvetica
is (I believe) a trademark of ITC.  Just like Kleenex is a trademark
for Kimberly-Clark.  (If I got the wrong company, don't let their lawyers
know.)  I can make any tissue I wish; I just can't call it Kleenex.

This is why the various companies which have developed sans-serif fonts
which are similar (or identical) to Helvetica give them other names.  Since
Helvetia is the Latin name for Switzerland, one of the companies calls
their font Swiss.

---

Nolo Press has a paperback book on Intellectual Property protection.  It's
probably a good buy.