[comp.fonts] Help: need TeX fonts for Sun 386i.

IA0@PSUVM.BITNET (02/01/89)

I need useable fonts for a Sun 386i.  This machine is byte-swapped
relative to Sun 3's and 4's, so the fonts in the Sun distribution
from june.washington don't work.  Or a short course in Metafont
would help.  I have everything compiled and ready to go.
(Re: Metafont:  what stuff is needed to run it- i.e. inputs, pool, etc).

David Huenemoerder
internet: dph@astro.psu.edu (128.118.30.150)   [preferred address]
bitnet: ia0@psuvm

ken@cs.rochester.edu (Ken Yap) (02/03/89)

|I need useable fonts for a Sun 386i.  This machine is byte-swapped
|relative to Sun 3's and 4's, so the fonts in the Sun distribution
|from june.washington don't work.  Or a short course in Metafont
|would help.  I have everything compiled and ready to go.
|(Re: Metafont:  what stuff is needed to run it- i.e. inputs, pool, etc).

I'm pretty sure TFM, PXL, PK and GF fonts have no byte order
dependencies.  We have used the same PK and TFM files on Sun-3s and
Vaxen.  The formats are either specified as byte streams, or the
ordering of bytes in a 32 bit word is specified. More likely the
previewer or driver you are using is not byte order portable.

jim@applix.UUCP (Jim Morton) (02/06/89)

In article <69498IA0@PSUVM>, IA0@PSUVM.BITNET writes:
> I need useable fonts for a Sun 386i.  This machine is byte-swapped
> relative to Sun 3's and 4's, so the fonts in the Sun distribution

In Sun's defense, I have to admit that their solution to a big problem
in 4.0.0 on the 386i's (vfont fonts have shorts in them and so are machine
specific, and Sun chose to say that 68000-format vfont fonts were the
"correct" format) is flexible and doesn't screw the software developers.
What 4.0.1 does is, if the pf_open font routine sees a font with the
.i386 extension, it will open it for 386-format vfont, otherwise it opens
the font without the extension in 68000-format vfont.
--
Jim Morton, APPLiX Inc., Westboro, MA
UUCP: ...harvard!m2c!applix!jim