[comp.fonts] Font Technology Update

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) (02/22/89)

In the magazie _Computer Currents_ it is reported that Bitstream
has cracked the Adobe font magic, and we can expect Adobe compatible
fonts from them. Ones that look good at small sizes.

Also, in the Feb ESD, it is reported that Toshiba will describe,
at CICC, a 20 Mhz outline font-rasterizing IC tht produces Bezier
curves, lines and arcs at a rate of 4 dots per clock cycle.

But you Adobe people probably knew this already, huh ?

--
               Lotus Super Seven Series III.  Too fast to race.
   BYTE computer graphics photo layout cancelled.  Too many Amiga entries.

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) (03/01/89)

In article <12405@gryphon.COM> richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:

>In the magazie _Computer Currents_ it is reported that Bitstream
>has cracked the Adobe font magic, and we can expect Adobe compatible
>fonts from them. Ones that look good at small sizes.

Yeah, well, *ahem*. Don't believe everything you read.

Bitstream call me back finally, today, and what they HAVE done is got
some of their fonts to work in an Adobe engine. (maybe they typed in
the example in the blue book, I don't know...).

What they havn't done is incorperated the Adobe ``hints''.

--
              8051 programmers will take over the world
richard@gryphon.COM  decwrl!gryphon!richard   gryphon!richard@elroy.jpl.NASA.GOV