[comp.fonts] Chinese Character Sets on Epson/etc. printers

news@brian386.UUCP (Wm. Brian McCane) (04/04/89)

I am not sure if this is the right place to post this, but here goes
anyway.  I am in need of a program (C Source Preferred) which will allow
an application to output to an epson or other DOT Matrix printer, in
Mandarin(?) chinese.  If anyone can send me such a beast, or give me a
clue about where to look, I would greatly appreciate it.  (I hate to
re-invent the wheel, and this project is starting to irk me ;-{)  Thanks
in advance for any help you can give me.

		brian

--
Wm. Brian McCane                    | Life is full of doors that won't open
                                    | when you knock, equally spaced amid
Disclaimer: I don't think they even | those that open when you don't want
            admit I work here.      | them to. - Roger Zelazny "Blood of Amber"

albert@cmtl01.UUCP (Albert Luk) (04/07/89)

In article <426@brian386.UUCP>, news@brian386.UUCP (Wm. Brian McCane) writes:
> I am not sure if this is the right place to post this, but here goes
> anyway.  I am in need of a program (C Source Preferred) which will allow
> an application to output to an epson or other DOT Matrix printer, in
> Mandarin(?) chinese.  If anyone can send me such a beast, or give me a
> clue about where to look, I would greatly appreciate it.  (I hate to
> re-invent the wheel, and this project is starting to irk me ;-{)  Thanks
> in advance for any help you can give me.
>
> 		brian
>
> --
> Wm. Brian McCane                    | Life is full of doors that won't open
>                                     | when you knock, equally spaced amid
> Disclaimer: I don't think they even | those that open when you don't want
>             admit I work here.      | them to. - Roger Zelazny "Blood of Amber"

      I had a chance to work in China in 1986-1987 transferring our English
   system for Chinese use.  Besides many uncountable obstacles Chinese
   printing could be viewed not a such difficult one now.  At that time
   we had developed two printing methods.

   Method 1 : Chinese character font dictionary is stored in the host cpu.
              The host searches for the right char font and sends the bit
              pattern to the printer - cheap but slows down the host.

   Method 2 : Epson 24 pin printer was modified to include a prom card of
              Chinese fonts - cost a bit more but frees up the host cpu,
              the smart Epson offloads the host burden.

   I had published my work in the proceedings of 1988 International
   Conference on Computer Processing of Chinese and Oriental Languages
   pp. 641-645 A Chinese Computer System for Railway Yard Operation.
   I had included many examples in the paper.

   Albert Luk
   4 Ramses, Kirkland                             O-O
   Montreal, Quebec,                               U
   Canada H9J 9Z7                                 < >
   (work) (514) 399 4220         The above is all my own idea and has nothing
   ..!attcan!CN.YIS!albert       to do with my company or whoever.