[comp.fonts] TeX pk fonts to sfp

pusateri@romeo.cs.duke.edu (Thomas J. Pusateri) (06/08/89)

Include in the jetroff package is a program to convert HP soft font files
(.sfp) to TeX pk font files (sfptopk) Does anyone know of a program to
convert pk files back to sfp? This would be (pktosfp) I guess!

Thanks for any info,

Tom Pusateri
National Biomedical Simulation Resource
Duke University Medical Center

pusateri@nbsr.mc.duke.edu

wnp@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Wolf Paul) (06/10/89)

In article <14688@duke.cs.duke.edu> pusateri@romeo.cs.duke.edu (Thomas J. Pusateri) writes:
>Include in the jetroff package is a program to convert HP soft font files
>(.sfp) to TeX pk font files (sfptopk) Does anyone know of a program to
>convert pk files back to sfp? This would be (pktosfp) I guess!

According to recent advice from Rick Richardson, author of JetRoff, the
easiest way to achieve this is to use the batch download option to Jetroff 2.5
or later.

This switch is designed to make JetRoff compatible with not-fully-compatible
laser printers which are unable to do the incremental downloading supported
by HP laser printers.

In effect, with this switch, printing a single character in a given font
causes the entire font to be downloaded to the printer. You can then take this
output (by redirecting it using the -d- option and shell output redirection)
and strip off extraneous material (i.e. positioning commands at the beginning,
the actual command printing the trigger character at the end). The resulting
file should be a HP SoftFont compatible file.

I have not tried this myself, but it makes sense :-).

Wolf
UUCP:   {texbell, killer, dalsqnt}!dcs!wnp
DOMAIN: wnp@killer.dallas.tx.us or wnp%dcs@texbell.swbt.com