[comp.fonts] HP-LaserJet -> DeskJet font conversion?

jimb@athertn.Atherton.COM (Jim Burke) (06/23/89)

I heard a rumor from one individual that a public domain font conversion
utility exists and has been posted to some bb somewhere.  It was supposed
to convert HP-LaserJet soft fonts to HP-DeskJet compatible soft fonts.
So, has anyone else ever heard of such a program?  It sounds a little far
fetched but the source of the information is quite reliable, although he
did not bother to copy the program since he had neither a LaserJet nor a
DeskJet.  Any information will be rewarded with my eternal gratitude...

--
Jim Burke        (408) 734-9822 (temp)  | I don't know nothin' 'bout birthin'
jimb@Atherton.COM                       | no babies, Miss Scarlet!

nathanm@hpcvlx.HP.COM (Nathan K. Meyers) (07/11/89)

> I heard a rumor from one individual that a public domain font conversion
> utility exists and has been posted to some bb somewhere.

I haven't heard of a public domain utility, but I have seen a product
advertised on BBs that does what you want.  Following is the order
form...  I have no connection with the company or product.

Nathan Meyers
Hewlett-Packard
nathanm@cv.hp.com

			   Convert LaserJet Fonts
			      for use in your
			     HP DeskJet Printer

      The low-cost Hewlett-Packard  DeskJet printer features the  same 300
 dot per inch resolution as laser  printers, fast, almost silent printing,
 font cartridges, and the ability to print with high resolution soft fonts
 with the addition of an optional RAM cartridge.

      Now you can create DeskJet soft fonts from the hundreds of typefaces
 and point sizes of LaserJet fonts available.

      S.H. Moody & Associates is pleased to offer LaserJet to DeskJet font
 conversion software.   For only $42.00  you receive a PC  compatible 360k
 diskette  containing  fully  documented  programs  to  produce  fixed  or
 proportionally spaced soft fonts for your DeskJet printer from any of the
 widely available LaserJet soft fonts.  The programs require an IBM PC, AT
 or  close  compatible with  at  least  512K memory  installed.   Programs
 contain complete documentation  on the  disk.   There is no   charge  for
 shipping within the U.S.  For delivery outside the U.S., add $5.00.

      Following is a brief description of the files on the font conversion
 diskette:

 LJ2DESK   Converts  LaserJet soft fonts  to DeskJet  format.   During the
	   conversion  it  corrects  most errors  found  in  LaserJet soft
	   fonts, to assure  the best  possible DeskJet fonts.   A  single
	   DeskJet  font  created by  LJ2DESK  allows  you to  print  in 4
	   styles: the base  font, bolded, half-size, and  half-size bold.
	   The program  can operate in "batch"  mode to convert  up to 100
	   fonts at a time,  and permits you to select which characters to
	   include in the DeskJet font.    This allows you to minimize use
	   of DeskJet memory, and  may allow you to convert  some LaserJet
	   fonts which  otherwise would  be too  big for  the DeskJet  (24
	   points) by eliminating some rarely-used  large characters.  All
	   DeskJet  characters  are exact  dot  matches of  their LaserJet
	   counterparts.    Fixed width  fonts space  the  same as  in the
	   LaserJet; proportional font  spacing normally differs  slightly
	   from  its  LaserJet  counterpart  due to  hardware  differences
	   between the two printers.

 FONTWID   Reads any  DeskJet or  LaserJet soft  font and  prints a  width
	   table for  each character  in the  font.   This information  is
	   needed in order to  obtain proper spacing by your  word proces-
	   sor.   Without correct  width information  your word  processor
	   cannot properly center or justify text.   The table produced by
	   FONTWID  also  shows  the font  name,  typeface,  style, height
	   (points), pitch, symbol  set, DeskJet memory required,  and the
	   complete  font descriptor escape sequence  to use to invoke the
	   font.  FONTWID  also supports DOS wildcard  characters to allow
	   printing of up to 100 width tables with one command.

				     2

 FONTVIEW  (Requires VGA, EGA, CGA, MCGA,  or Hercules graphics)  Displays
	   magnified LaserJet  or DeskJet soft font  characters on-screen,
	   maintaining the  correct height  and width  proportions of  the
	   printed  character.    Also  displays font  information  (name,
	   typeface,  spacing,   symbol  set,  height  in  points,  pitch,
	   baseline distance, x-height etc.) and character data (character
	   number,  size, width, left  and right  padding).   This program
	   lets you look "inside" your DeskJet fonts to understand why the
	   printed output looks the  way it does.  It is especially useful
	   to DeskJet owners who can "preview" LaserJet fonts to determine
	   whether they want to convert them to DeskJet format.

      The diskette  also includes  a font  downloading program (DLOAD),  a
 batch file to  download and print a  test sheet of your  converted fonts,
 and full documentation for all programs.

      If you  wish to  purchase the  LaserJet to  DeskJet font  conversion
 disk, please print and use the order form below.

				     3

			    O R D E R   F O R M

      Check the appropriate boxes,  enclose a check for the  total amount,
 and mail to:

		       S.H. Moody & Associates, Inc.
			    1810 Fair Oaks Ave.
			  South Pasadena, CA 91030

      Please send the LaserJet to DeskJet soft font conversion programs to
 me at the address below.

							  Amount
							 Enclosed

      Conversion software (Includes LJ2DESK,
      FONTWID, FONTVIEW, and DLOAD ....................   $ 42.00

      California residents add 6-1/2% tax ($2.73)...... __________

      Foreign addresses add $5.00 ..................... __________

      TOTAL ........................................... __________

      Your name: _________________________________________________

      Street:  ___________________________________________________

      City, State, ZIP:  _________________________________________

jimb@athertn.Atherton.COM (Jim Burke) (07/11/89)

In article <105240003@hpcvlx.HP.COM> nathanm@hpcvlx.HP.COM (Nathan K. Meyers) writes:
>> I heard a rumor from one individual that a public domain font conversion
>> utility exists and has been posted to some bb somewhere.
>
>I haven't heard of a public domain utility, but I have seen a product
>advertised on BBs that does what you want.  Following is the order
>form...  I have no connection with the company or product.
>

>			   Convert LaserJet Fonts
>			      for use in your
>			     HP DeskJet Printer

Thanx, Nathan.  I phoned Moody and Associates yesterday and they confirmed
that they do indeed sell such a product.  Mr. Moody indicated that his
software could convert LaserJet fonts up to about 24 pts.  The main limitation
is hardware.  In any event, I mailed him a check yesterday.  When I try the
package out, I will post my results in case anyone else is interested.  If this
actually works out, it will make my DeskJet immensely more useful to me.  Thanks
again.