[comp.fonts] Anglo saxon fonts needed

richard@calvin.EE.CORNELL.EDU (Richard Brittain) (08/16/89)

Hello,
		my housemate the anglo saxon historian would like to know if there are
any fonts available for Mac/Laserwriter which include anglo saxon characters
(like the thorn, which is funny d on it's side with a line through the ascender)

Richard Brittain,                   School of Elect. Eng.,  Upson Hall
                                    Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853
ARPA: richard@calvin.spp.cornell.edu
UUCP: {uunet,uw-beaver,rochester,cmcl2}!cornell!calvin!richard

lemon@adobe.com (David Lemon) (08/18/89)

In article <1208@calvin.EE.CORNELL.EDU> richard@calvin.EE.CORNELL.EDU (Richard Brittain) writes:
>Hello,
>		my housemate the anglo saxon historian would like to know if there are
>any fonts available for Mac/Laserwriter which include anglo saxon characters
>(like the thorn, which is funny d on it's side with a line through the ascender)

The normal character set of Adobe fonts (around 80% of the library) is
ISO Latin 1, which includes cap and lowercase Eth and Thorn. Unfortunately,
they're unencoded (PostScript font vectors can handle only 256 characters at
once) so your friend would have to re-encode the font to get to them (and,
because they're unencoded, their screen font versions aren't included in
standard packages). These eths and thorns are for modern Icelandic and
Faroese useage and may or may not be suitable for historical purposes.

- David Lemon