[comp.fonts] Help With PD Fonts

woody@rpp386.cactus.org (Woodrow Baker) (11/09/89)

In article <4388@blake.acs.washington.edu>, marksal@blake.acs.washington.edu (Alan Marks) writes:
> Our office is using WordPerfect 5.0 and HP Laserjet II's.  I have read
> here about PD downloadable fonts.  Having successfully downloaded a font
> to the laserjet, I can't figure how to get WordSemiPerfect to deal with
> the new font.  Any tips/pointers to tips would be appreciated.  Responses
> by email will be summarized if there is interest.  Thanks for your support.
>
> Alan        email: marksal@blake.acs.washington.edu
O.k.  There are several things that you have to do.  First you have to find
out the width of each character.  This can be extracted from the font.  See
the LaserjetII tech ref manual. Second, you need to rung the printer program
to customize a printer.  Create a printer based on one of the Laserjet II
drivers.  Go in and alter the font name of one of the fonts, and then find
and fill in the character width table.  The next thing is to determine
the sequence of escape codes required to select this font.  These will be
included in the documentation hopefully.  You then have to specify these
escape codes in the font selection string definition.  You can then mark
the font as a downloaded font and tell wp where to find it.  If all this is
done correctly, you will be able to use the font.  FONTWARE for WP does most
of this automaticaly for you.  Fonts are picked by the oddball method of
attribute selection.  For example, you ask for a 10 pt font.  The printer
will select all 10 pt fonts, and pick a default.  The you ask for mono
or proportional, then printer will find all 10pt proportional fonts, then
you ask for a type face and it will try to find a 10 pt proportional font
with a matching type face.  The exact priority is located in the hp Laser
Jet II tech manual....Why don't you just spend $2000 or so and install
a JETSCRIPT board in a PC and use postscript, or maybe get the $600 pacific
data systems postscript cardtridge and a 1.5 meg upgrade board.  Better results. nicer and faster..cheers woody