[comp.fonts] Font with Anglo Saxon Characters Wanted

adishian@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Aram Adishian) (11/21/89)

	A student walked into our office today looking for a font that
could handle thorn, ash, eth, and makrons, characters used in
anglo-saxon writing.  He is working on a thesis and needs them to
finish up.  They exist for special programs on the IBM.  The big
question is, do they exist for the mac.

	He does not need a fancy Book of Kells Type Font, as nice as
that is, he needs one that he can write his entire thesis in, adding
these characters when needed using option keys or whatever.

	If anyone out there knows of such a font, has hacked another
font to include these characters, or knows of an ftp site that has it,
I would love to know, by mail or in these groups.  If it is sent to me
binhexed or Stuffed, that would be even better.

	Also if anyone has any advice on editing an existing font to
include them, that is the next best thing.

	Thank you in advance!

	Aram Adishian
	adishian@elbereth.rutgers.edu

Aram Adishian                          * adishian@elbereth.rutgers.edu
Rutgers University                     *  Standard Disclaimer, etc., etc.
 CENTER FOR COMPUTER AND INFORMATION SERVICES*STUDENT MICROCOMPUTER PROJECT

halldors@paul.rutgers.edu (Magnus M Halldorsson) (11/22/89)

In article <Nov.20.23.42.19.1989.7418@elbereth.rutgers.edu> adishian@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Aram Adishian) writes:

> 	A student walked into our office today looking for a font that
> could handle thorn, ash, eth, and makrons, characters used in
> anglo-saxon writing.

Most (and perhaps all) anglo-saxon characters exist in Modern Icelandic.
I don't know what "ash" and "makrons" are though.

> The big
> question is, do they exist for the mac.

An Icelandic system for the Mac can be bought from APDA for $10-20.

There's also \oe TeX fonts available on the systems here.

Magnus

jimi@h-three.UUCP (jimi) (11/22/89)

In article <Nov.20.23.42.19.1989.7418@elbereth.rutgers.edu>, adishian@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Aram Adishian) writes:
> 	A student walked into our office today looking for a font that
> could handle thorn, ash, eth, and makrons, characters used in
> anglo-saxon writing.  He is working on a thesis and needs them to
> finish up.  They exist for special programs on the IBM.  The big
> question is, do they exist for the mac.

Here's an answer to part of the question: Adobe's PostScript
fonts contain ash, eth, macron, and thorn (majorscule and miniscule
for ash, eth, and thorn). Other PostScript font vendors who supply
the same character set in their fonts will have these also.

Those who have PostSript printers will have these characters in
their printers' resident fonts.

I don't know, specifically, if any Mac applications support these
characters.
--
Jim Ingram	          uunet!h-three!jimi | jimi%h-three@uunet.uu.net
h-three Systems Corporation   P.O. Box 12557 RTP NC 27709   919 549 8334