[comp.fonts] Slavic

dane@denali.stanford.edu (Dane Spearing) (11/23/89)

Does Adobe (or anyone else for that matter) distribute a Slavic Font?
I've got some Russian typing I need to do.  If so, what is the
name of the font?  (I've got access to practially all of the bitmapped
Adobe fonts, but I can't figure out by the names of them which one might
be Slavic).  Thanks.
				-Dane Spearing
 				 dane@denali.stanford.edu

smithda@cpsvax.cps.msu.edu (J. Daniel Smith) (11/23/89)

In article <6947@portia.Stanford.EDU> dane@denali.stanford.edu (Dane Spearing) writes:

>Does Adobe (or anyone else for that matter) distribute a Slavic Font?
Georgia Tobin of the Metafoundry (part of the OCLC) has but together a
TeX compatible Slavic font in METAfont.  There is both a "Time-Roman"
version and a "Helvetica" version.

Details on obtaining such fonts has always been rather sketchy.  I
know that some of their other fonts are distributed through just a few
companies (one in the US is Personal-TeX).  However, I haven't seen
the Slavic fonts from Personal-TeX.  Perhaps someone else has more
info on obtaining fonts from the Metafoundry.

   Dan
J. Daniel Smith                      Internet: smithda@cpsvax.cps.msu.edu
Michigan State University              BITNET: smithdan@msuegr
                                       Usenet: uunet!frith!smithda

Wenn die Katze aus dem Haus ist, tanzen die Maeuse.
(When the cat's away, the mice will play.)

dhosek@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (D.A. Hosek) (11/27/89)

In article <5505@cps3xx.UUCP> smithda@cpsvax.cps.msu.edu (J. Daniel Smith) writes:
>In article <6947@portia.Stanford.EDU> dane@denali.stanford.edu (Dane Spearing) writes:

>>Does Adobe (or anyone else for that matter) distribute a Slavic Font?
>Georgia Tobin of the Metafoundry (part of the OCLC) has but together a
>TeX compatible Slavic font in METAfont.  There is both a "Time-Roman"
>version and a "Helvetica" version.

>Details on obtaining such fonts has always been rather sketchy.  I
>know that some of their other fonts are distributed through just a few
>companies (one in the US is Personal-TeX).  However, I haven't seen
>the Slavic fonts from Personal-TeX.  Perhaps someone else has more
>info on obtaining fonts from the Metafoundry.

When I was at Stanford, I talked to a former OCLC employee and
acquaintance of Georgia Tobin. Apparently, OCLC does not wish
to be in the business of typeface distribution and the status
of all the Metafoundry fonts is in doubt. Also, since the fonts
were developed using "old" MF, they cannot be regenerated by
the end-user (for e.g., tuning to the output device).

However, the University of Washington's Cyrillic font is now
available. It is being distributed by the AMS as a replacement
to the old AMS Cyrillic. I haven't seen any samples of it
myself, but I'm told that it's quite good. Also, the sources
are available on request. Contact Ralph Youngen, rey@math.ams.com
for more details.

-dh
--
"Odi et amo, quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?
   nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior"          -Catullus