[comp.fonts] Arabic Font

whalen@esquire.UUCP (Rachel Whalen) (11/09/89)

Does anyone know if Arabic fonts are available - and where to get them?
(Something in the public domain would be especially excellent.)

Thanks!

woody@rpp386.cactus.org (Woodrow Baker) (11/09/89)

In article <1556@esquire.UUCP>, whalen@esquire.UUCP (Rachel Whalen) writes:

> Does anyone know if Arabic fonts are available - and where to get them?
> (Something in the public domain would be especially excellent.)
>
> Thanks!

Yes, there do exists arabic fonts.  There is a company that makes a program
called Muli-Lingual Scribe that is a wordprocessor supporting about 5 or
10 languages including arabic, hebrew, cyrillic, greek and several others.
They have drivers for the various languages, and have fonts as well.  I think
that they work with dot matrix printers and some lasers in dot matrix emulation
format.  I'm not sure where they are located, but a good PC program refernce
should list them as they have been around for a while.

suhans@let.vu.nl (suhans) (11/10/89)

In article <17262@rpp386.cactus.org>, woody@rpp386.cactus.org (Woodrow Baker) writes:
> In article <1556@esquire.UUCP>, whalen@esquire.UUCP (Rachel Whalen) writes:
> >
> > Does anyone know if Arabic fonts are available - and where to get them?
> > (Something in the public domain would be especially excellent.)
> >
> > Thanks!
>
> Yes, there do exists arabic fonts.  There is a company that makes a program
> called Muli-Lingual Scribe that is a wordprocessor supporting about 5 or
> 10 languages including arabic, hebrew, cyrillic, greek and several others.
> They have drivers for the various languages, and have fonts as well.  I think
> that they work with dot matrix printers and some lasers in dot matrix emulation
> format.  I'm not sure where they are located, but a good PC program refernce
> should list them as they have been around for a while.

We are using MLS with laser and matrixprinters.
For laserprinters the fonts arabic, hebrew etc are downloaded (softfonts).
For 24-p matrix printers the fonts are also downloaded (NEC P6+ etc)
For 9-p printer the fonts are in bit-image in graphic mode ( very slow)

The name of the program is Multi Lingual Scholar from Gamma productions
Address: 710 Wilshire Blvd, suite 609, Santa Monica, CA 90401 USA
Tel: 213.394.8622

Organisation:	Vrije Universiteit, Faculty of Literature
                Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Name:		Hans Varkevisser (system administrator)
                hans@let.vu.nl  or let.vu.nl!hans

takayama@vcomsa.vcom.sony.co.jp (Yoshihisa Takayama) (11/30/89)

 |Does anyone know if Arabic fonts are available - and where to get them?
 |(Something in the public domain would be especially excellent.)

I get my some Arabic fonts with Arabic system software for my personal
computer Apple Macintosh Plus. Anyone can get it from APDA (Apple
Programmers and Developers Association). Arabic system software cost
$35. It include "TeachText" which is a tiny Arabic text editor.
  Furthermore, there is a font-editor utility. I have "Fontastic
Plus". You can edit or create Arabic font.