[comp.fonts] 300pk soft font format

tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen) (12/09/89)

I'd like to find out what the format is for the .300pk soft font files
for the HP LaserJet.  Could someone either email me the specs or point
me in the right direction for them?

                                        \tom haapanen
"now, you didn't really expect          tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu
 my views to have anything to do        watmims research group
 with my employer's, did you?"          university of waterloo

"I don't even know what street Canada is on"  -- Al Capone

dhosek@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (D.A. Hosek) (12/09/89)

In article <349@watserv1.waterloo.edu> tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen) writes:
>I'd like to find out what the format is for the .300pk soft font files
>for the HP LaserJet.  Could someone either email me the specs or point
>me in the right direction for them?

Well, if my interpretation is correct, you're not actually referring to
soft fonts which are HP-specific, but to PK files which are a generic
bitmap format.

The PK format is described in the source code to the following programs:
   PKTOPX
   PXTOPK
   PKTYPE
   GFTOPK
   PKTOGF

I believe that's the complete list.

These are all WEB programs, which is a Pascal pre-processor system consisting
of two programs: WEAVE which creates a TeX listing of the program, and TANGLE
which creates a Pascal file which can be compiled.

If your system has PK files, chances are you have all the necessary programs
on your system as well.

The PK format is a really nice one, by the way. The compression of bitmaps
is quite amazing (around 33% the size of a "straight" word-aligned bitmap,
50% the size of the compressed bitmaps MF outputs). It was created by Tom
Rokicki (also the author of dvips, AmigaTeX, and chunks of NeXTTeX).

-dh
--
"Odi et amo, quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?
   nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior"          -Catullus