[comp.fonts] Postscript Font Queries

koontz@cam.nist.gov (John E. Koontz X5180) (12/08/89)

What is entailed in converting a Postscript font distributed for use in
a Macintosh environment for use in a PC DOS environment?

Are there tools for generating HP LaserJet (II, etc.) bitmap fonts from
Postscript outlines?

woody@rpp386.cactus.org (Woodrow Baker) (12/08/89)

In article <1863@alpha.cam.nist.gov>, koontz@cam.nist.gov (John E. Koontz X5180) writes:
> What is entailed in converting a Postscript font distributed for use in
> a Macintosh environment for use in a PC DOS environment?
>
> Are there tools for generating HP LaserJet (II, etc.) bitmap fonts from
> Postscript outlines?

Well, the diffrences are documented by Adobe.  They used to have a document
that detailed the diffrences.  Once you have the files re-arranged a bit, then
you can use them.  The real problem will be that there is no tool for converting
mac screen fonts to windows screen fonts.  There are several companies that have
such tools, but they are not available comercialy.  On of my back-burner projects
is to create just that.  I have a lot of the information, but would love to
find someone else to collaborate with.  2 heads typicaly are better than 1
in situations like this.  As to the other question, Arts and Letters  has
a previewer but I don't think you can caputure the bit maps.  If you have an
NTX with a hard disk, you can caputure adobe font bitmaps, and read them
back to the host.  Then you can convert them to hpLJ fonts.  Ultra Script
from The Laser Connection in Mobile Alabama is a PS interpreter that can
drive a laserjet (it maps things into the PC memory map, and them converts
the maps to graphics).  It might be possible to use this package, and grab
the output to the laserjet...

Cheers

woody

hammen@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Robert J. Hammen) (12/09/89)

If you just need the screen fonts (ie, have converted over the printer fonts
from a Mac, or stored the fonts on disk attached to the printer) you can buy
just the screen fonts from Adobe. Some of them are available on CompuServe.
Also, you might want to check around with any local DTP service bureaus,
since they can redistribute them (not all service bureaus have copies of
the PC screen fonts, though).

Robert