[comp.fonts] Outline fonts wanted

tp@mccall.uucp (12/06/89)

I asked this before and got no responses. I can't believe Bitstream is the
only source for outline font data!

Can anyone tell me where I can get/buy outline fonts? I need these for an
in-house plotting application, so I need the actual data, and I need to
know the encoding of it.
--
Terry Poot (800)255-2762, in Kansas (913)776-4041
The McCall Pattern Company, 615 McCall Rd., Manhattan, KS 66502, USA

mills@adobe.com (Dan Mills) (12/07/89)

>I asked this before and got no responses. I can't believe Bitstream is the
>only source for outline font data!
>
>Can anyone tell me where I can get/buy outline fonts? I need these for an
>in-house plotting application, so I need the actual data, and I need to
>know the encoding of it.

Try URW in Hamburg, West Germany. This is one of their main businesses.
They developed and market the Ikarus type development system, including
several digital outline formats, some of which are de facto industry
standards for typeface data interchange. They also have an outline type
production group that uses the Ikarus system to produce typeface data. They
have a very large library, including all ITC faces.

- Dan

rick@pcrat.uucp (Rick Richardson) (12/08/89)

In article <1514@adobe.UUCP> mills@adobe.COM (Dan Mills) writes:
>Can anyone tell me where I can get/buy outline fonts? I need these for an
>in-house plotting application, so I need the actual data, and I need to
>know the encoding of it.

It you are on the cheap and aren't real picky about quality, get the
Digi-fonts stuff.  They document their outline (data) format in the
manual that comes with the basic set, and they have 264 different
faces available.  1-800-242-5665, 1-303-526-9435.

Just fooling around last year I wrote a little C program to
read the Digifont outlines and output "pic" to draw each character,
one per page, using troff.

I did this just to see how closely the outlines model a real
character.  These only had straight lines and arcs, and I found
them to be fairly ugly blown up to 8 inches.  They are OK at
real sizes, though.

--
Rick Richardson |       Looking for FAX software for UNIX/386 ??????     mention
PC Research,Inc.|                  WE'RE SHIPPING			 your

kmcvay@oneb.UUCP (Ken McVay) (12/10/89)

In article <1514@adobe.UUCP>, mills@adobe.com (Dan Mills) writes:

> >Can anyone tell me where I can get/buy outline fonts? I need these for an
>
> Try URW in Hamburg, West Germany. This is one of their main businesses.

You might also contact Giampa Textware (604-253-0815 - ask for John
Frame) in Vancouver, British Columbia. The are using the Ikarus system to
port brass fonts to Mac's, and (soon, I understand) PC's too....

I neither work for or with Giampa, and have no interest in the company, but
did get an opportunity to see their work and found the process fascinating..
they have apparently secured the rights to a huge number of old fonts, and
are now in the (very tedious) process of converting each and every one of
them....

--
     "The number of  things in a given class is the class of all classes
          that are similar to the given class." (Sprague de Camp)

john@trigraph.uucp (John Chew) (12/12/89)

Someone asked:
>Can anyone tell me where I can get/buy outline fonts?

Another source is Image Club Graphics (USA +1 800 661 9410, elsewhere
+1 403 262 8008) in Calgary, which sells PostScript typefaces but
includes Adobe Illustrator files of each letterform for customization.
It is not difficult to interpret an Illustrator file, and to rasterize
it all you will need is the ability to rasterize PostScript splines.

The catalogue that I have in front of me shows about a hundred faces
including many popular ones from ITC, Kingsley/ATF, and VGC.  I have
no connection with Image Club, except that one of our clients uses
their fonts for their customizability.

John
--
john j. chew, iii   		  phone: +1 416 425 3818     AppleLink: CDA0329
trigraph, inc., toronto, canada   {uunet!utai!utcsri,utgpu,utzoo}!trigraph!john