[comp.fonts] Wanted: a metafont program for a "callibration" font

dag@per2.UUCP (Daniel A. Glasser) (12/19/89)

Is there a metafont description for a small (few characters) font
which is specificly designed for assisting in determining the values
for the printer specific variables for a new printer?  Such a font
along with a TeX file to create a test page would be quite useful.

This font should have various combinations of thin, thick, vertical,
horizontal, diagonal, curved, solid and hollow areas in various characters
so that the desired blackness, etc., settings could be adjusted until
this special font looked good enough, and then the other fonts could
be generated with a consistent look.

I've discovered that simply using a single font from the cm family
does not produce a sufficient representative sample.  I've been
using cmr10, cmbx10, cmsl10, cmss10, cmr8, cmmi10, and cmti10, but
these take too long to run through mf each time and also may not be
sufficent.

If there is no "printer mode calibration" font, I will create one and
post it to the net, but I'd rather be lazy and get one from someone
else (also, I'm a novice at metafont, I would think an expert would
do a better job).

						Daniel A. Glasser
    Daniel A. Glasser                           One of those things that goes
    uwvax!per2!dag                              "BUMP!!!(ouch)" in the night.
 ---Persoft, Inc.---------465 Science Drive-------Madison, WI 53711-----------

dhosek@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (D.A. Hosek) (12/31/89)

In article <886@per2.UUCP> dag@per2.UUCP (Daniel A. Glasser) writes:
>Is there a metafont description for a small (few characters) font
>which is specificly designed for assisting in determining the values
>for the printer specific variables for a new printer?  Such a font
>along with a TeX file to create a test page would be quite useful.

>I've discovered that simply using a single font from the cm family
>does not produce a sufficient representative sample.  I've been
>using cmr10, cmbx10, cmsl10, cmss10, cmr8, cmmi10, and cmti10, but
>these take too long to run through mf each time and also may not be
>sufficent.

>If there is no "printer mode calibration" font, I will create one and
>post it to the net, but I'd rather be lazy and get one from someone
>else (also, I'm a novice at metafont, I would think an expert would
>do a better job).

Well, the cold hard truth of the matter is that it really isn't possible
to produce such a "printer mode calibration" font. The concept of the
mode_def is a rather limited one and at resolutions typical of most
printers used for TeX output (200-400dpi), a single mode_def is usually
inadequate for the generation of all fonts. If you have a write-white
printer, the situation gets worse (to get decent results out of a Xerox
87xx/97xx/4050 printer takes no fewer than 10 mode_def's!). If you don't
get TUGboat, you should subscribe. Information on mode_def's is carried
there. Also, Doug Henderson, who is currently working at Blue Sky Research
(makers of Textures) coordinates mode_def's and would be glad to discuss
the matter with you.

[Moderator: could you toss in the 800 number for Blue Sky and the
address for TUG here... I don't have them handy and don't care to go
back to my apartment to get them just now.]

-dh
--
"Odi et amo, quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?
   nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior"          -Catullus

In article <3681@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> dhosek@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (D.A. Hosek) writes:
>[Moderator: could you toss in the 800 number for Blue Sky and the
>address for TUG here... I don't have them handy and don't care to go
>back to my apartment to get them just now.]

Oops, I forgot, this isn't the moderated comp.* group I read (bleah).
I'll bring the info and post it next time I come in.

-dh