[comp.fonts] Has anyone customized the Bookman "i"?

kibo@pawl14.pawl.rpi.edu (James 'Kibo' Parry) (01/08/90)

[]
	Has anyone written a little program to replace the normal PostScript
Bookman lowercase "i" with one made from the dotless "i" plus a period
to produce an "i" with a higher dot?  (To be more clearly an "i" in small
sizes after being badly Xeroxed, etc.  I like dots with clearance.)

	I don't suppose anybody has, but if you have, I'd appreciate a way
of "tweaking" the "i"  :-)

--
james "kibo" parry, 8 Park Plaza Suite #152, PO Box 722, Boston MA 02117-0722
kibo%pawl.rpi.edu@itsgw.rpi.edu  _____________________________________________

woody@rpp386.cactus.org (Woodrow Baker) (01/08/90)

In article <M}LT0#@rpi.edu>, kibo@pawl14.pawl.rpi.edu (James 'Kibo' Parry) writes:
> []
> 	Has anyone written a little program to replace the normal PostScript
> Bookman lowercase "i" with one made from the dotless "i" plus a period
> to produce an "i" with a higher dot?  (To be more clearly an "i" in small
> sizes after being badly Xeroxed, etc.  I like dots with clearance.)
>
> 	I don't suppose anybody has, but if you have, I'd appreciate a way
> of "tweaking" the "i"  :-)
Probably not, but perhaps the following suggestion will help.  Try printing
the I at say 500 points, then measure from the base up and from the right
sidebearing (i.e. when you do a flattenpath and a bounding box computation)
llx is the sidebearing),  Determine where you need to draw a white box to
erase the dot.  Then determine where you need a white box to erase the body
of the I.  Scale the numbers back to 1 point, and then you should be able to
either build a font based on Bookman and redifine the I to print, then print
the dot removal box, then print the dot where you want to.  The exact sequence
would be to image the I a bit higher on the page than normal, then white the
body out.  then print the i and white the old dot out.  You could either
build a font based on Bookman, or if you are laying each character down
individually, just check for I and handle it separatly.  I have used this
to modify Avent-Garde, so that it has serifs on it.  There is a commercial
font the name of which escapes me at the moment, that is just Avante-Garde
with serifs.  Hope this helps some.  The "real world postscript" book has
a nice example of accessing a font character from within another user defined
font, so perhaps it won't be to hard if you look there.

Cheers
Woody

> --
> james "kibo" parry, 8 Park Plaza Suite #152, PO Box 722, Boston MA 02117-0722
> kibo%pawl.rpi.edu@itsgw.rpi.edu  _____________________________________________
> kibo@mts.rpi.edu                / Kibology    /  Anything I say is the opinion
> userfe0n@rpitsmts.bitnet       /  is better! /   of myself, and not of Xibo.

rstevahn@hpdml93.HP.COM (Robert Stevahn) (01/10/90)

You probably won't care about this, but a potential problem with the method
described for modifying the Bookman 'i' is that it may not work on 'other'
PostScript machines than the one you start with (i.e. if you use an Adobe
PostScript machine, your procedure may not work on a PostScript clone which
uses, say, Bitstream fonts). Not that I have a better solution, mind you.

By the way, Avant Garde with serifs is Lubalin Graph.

Regards,

Robert (rstevahn@hpbsla.hp.com)

singer@apple.com (Dave Singer) (01/12/90)

You can readily achieve your aims using Fontographer's ability to create
composite characters.  Just combine the dotless i already in the font
(macintosh shift-option-b, I think) with the period.

* * * * *
To be loyal to rags, to shout for rags, to worship rags, to die for rags
-- that is a loyalty of unreason, it is pure animal (Mark Twain).