[comp.fonts] Cree Syllabics Font

userLEEN@mts.ucs.UAlberta.CA (unknown) (01/13/90)

I'm trying to find out for someone if there is a Cree Syllabics
font available for the IBM PC.  He is using Multimate (this
is flexible) and an HP Laserjet printer.  He isn't sure what
his graphics card is.

If someone knows of such a font or has other relevant advice
on creating and using one, could they please pass it on to
me.  This group is new to me and my knowledge of fonts is
minimal.

(This is a second posting to correct Slavic to Syllabic.  I
received one very helpful response, but no PC font).

xanthian@saturn.ADS.COM (Metafont Consultant Account) (01/14/90)

In article <721@mts.ucs.UAlberta.CA> userLEEN@mts.ucs.UAlberta.CA (unknown) writes:
<>I'm trying to find out for someone if there is a Cree Syllabics
<>font available for the IBM PC.  He is using Multimate (this
<>is flexible) and an HP Laserjet printer.  He isn't sure what
<>his graphics card is.
<>
<>If someone knows of such a font or has other relevant advice
<>on creating and using one, could they please pass it on to
<>me.  This group is new to me and my knowledge of fonts is
<>minimal.
<>
<>(This is a second posting to correct Slavic to Syllabic.  I
<>received one very helpful response, but no PC font).

Just a general note to those looking for outlandish fonts and word
processors; the requests should probably be cross-posted to
comp.fonts, comp.text, and sci.lang (which seems to be omitted a lot),
experts in each group may know of tools useful to requesters in the
other two groups, yet not read them regularly to answer questions.  I
don't know whether the below article will help answer the above
request, but I found it in sci.lang, and am including it in response
to the above request from comp.fonts.

<>Newsgroups: sci.lang
<>Subject: Re: IPA Font
<>Date: 13 Jan 90 23:29:27 GMT

In article <2139@alpha.cam.nist.gov>, koontx@cam.nist.gov (John E.
Koontz X5180) writes:
<>In article <18489@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU>, lnb@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (L. N. Brosnahan) writes:
<>> Does anyone have a Macintosh font with the International Phonetic
<>> Alphabet character set?  If you have any information on this, please e-mail
<>> me (lnb@eleazar.dartmouth.edu).
<>
<>
<>For Macintosh/Postscript fonts for exotic symbol sets, including IPA:
<>
<>Ecological Linguistics
<>POB 15156
<>Washington, DC, USA  20003
<>(no phone)
<>
<>Linguist's Software
<>POB 580
<>Edmonds, WA, USA  98020-0580
<>206-775-1130
<>
<>NeoScribe International, Inc.
<>POB 633
<>East Haven, CT, USA 06512
<>203-467-9880
<>
<>I have no experience with any products of these companies, but have
<>catalogs in hand.  If anyone has a more recent address, please post!
<>
<>This recommendation is personal, and does not reflect the opinions of
<>my employers.
<>
<>