[comp.fonts] Stone fonts

bobd@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Bob Debula) (02/21/90)

  Speaking of Adobe fonts, last night in the mail, I received a new
Adobe font catalog and a letter asking me if I want the free upgrade
to the Adobe Type Manager (of course I do, who wouldn't; why do they
ask?).  In with the invite to upgrade for free there is an offer to
purchase one type 1 font package for $39 (they point out this
potentially is a  $370 value). Buying ATM from a Mailorder house
(I bought mine for $59 from either MacConnection or MacWarehouse I
believe), sending in the registration, and then sending in the upgrade
with $39 for the font sounds like an inexpensive way to buy an expensive
type 1 font (should you need one).  I need to read over the list of
eligible (type 1) fonts that they included to see if it makes sense
(although I'll probably do it anyway because we are sparse on PostScript
fonts).
  To make your own decision I suggest you read the ATM upgrade literature
(supposing you got a copy or can borrow one).  One would think this
might sell a lot of ATM packages (there may of course be time limitations
or other restrictions, but I didn't see any when I glanced through
the package).  I'm not affiliated with Adobe or any retail or
mailorder establishment, I just thought folks would be interested to
hear about this.  I'm certainly going to check the "send me a type 1
font for $39 (I think it was $7.50 for S&H)" box on my upgrade
form.

Bob DeBula                    | Internet:   bobd@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu
The Ohio State University     | Disclaimer: These are my views, not the U's
Davros sez:   When my Daleks compute they use X-TER-MI-NALS!

johnsonr@thor.acc.stolaf.edu (R o d Johnson) (02/22/90)

This is just a note to thank everyone who responded to my query about
the Stone fonts and Sumner Stone.  Most everybody told me that the
fonts were available from Adobe.  Many also said that Stone had been
Director of Typography at Adobe, although a couple implied that he may
have moved on from there.

Several people also told me about this article:

  "The Stone Family of Typefaces: New Voices for the Electronic Age"
  _Fine Print_, July 1988
      or
  _Fine Print on Type: The Best of Fine Print Magazine on Type and
   Typography_ (Bedford Arts, San Francisco, 1989)

I already had the latter version, which is what stimulated my interest
in these fonts in the first place.  The book is recommended, by the
way, for those with a serious interest in type design and typefounding
(but if that's you you probably already know about it); dabblers (like
me, for now) will find it intermittently interesting. The book came
with a Bedford Arts brochure, though, which included the an
announcement for the following:

  _On Stone: The History and Use of the Stone Family of Typefaces_
   Sumner Stone
   120pp.
   ISBN 0-938491-28-8
   Due April 15, 1990

This book purports to be a history of Stone, a detailed consideration
of its design, and a guide to type use for desktop publishing in
general, using Stone for examples of what to do and not to do.  If the
book is half as good as it's blurb suggests, it will be very useful.

Thanks again to everyone who helped out.

Rod Johnson - U Michigan Linguistics : Internet: rcj@um.cc.umich.edu
in exile in Minnesota                : Phone: (507) 645 9804

jimi@h-three.UUCP (jimi) (02/22/90)

In article <1852@adobe.UUCP>, dkletter@adobe.COM (Reality is the only word that should always be used in quotes) writes:
> In article <11334@thor.acc.stolaf.edu> johnsonr@thor.acc.stolaf.edu (Rod Johnson) writes:

> > [request for info re the Stone family of typefaces]

> if you're looking for some type specimen's or information there are at
> least four places to go that i can think of offhand:

> 	[three sources deleted]

> 	3) call Adobe and ask for the reprint of Fine Print's article
> 	   entitled "The Stone Family of Typefaces: New Voices for the
> 	   Electronic Age".

I called Adobe's switchboard to request this and was referred to
1-800-344-8335. The person who answered that line told me she
"could not access that information" and suggested I "look in the
_Reader's Guide to Periodicals_ or call the magazine."

Is this reprint available from Abobe? Who could I call to "access" it?

--
Jim Ingram	          uunet!h-three!jimi | jimi%h-three@uunet.uu.net
h-three Systems Corporation   P.O. Box 12557 RTP NC 27709   919 549 8334