[comp.fonts] The mims-iris font archive

tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen) (12/22/89)

[This is a re-re-repost; Pnews doesn't appear to like me today.  :( ]

		    The mims-iris Font Archive
		    --------------------------

[if you've seen it already, check out the list of new submissions at the end]

SUMMARY:

The mims-iris font archive is a publicly accessible location for fonts;
it is primarily oriented towards LaserJet fonts, although it does have
some others as well (PostScript and VGA).  The archive contains currently
some 7.5 MB of fonts and font utilities, compressed with either compress(1)
or PKZIP.  All of the fonts and utilities are, to the best of my knowledge,
freely distributable, although some are shareware.

ACCESS:

To access the archive via ftp, use the ftp program to connect to
mims-iris.waterloo.edu (129.97.129.116); use userid 'ftp' and enter your
real userid as the password.  Use binary mode to transfer all compressed
files.  [Since our OS upgrade, the ftp connection is now fully functional
with no known bugs.  -ed.]

To access the archive by mail, send a mail message to the userid
font-server@mims-iris.waterloo.edu with your request(s) in the message
body.  You might start by sending a message 'help' or asking for the
index ('send index').

There is no anonymous uucp access available -- sorry!

ORGANIZATION:

The software is generally available in the ~/fonts directory; the
following are the most significant subdirectories:

	~/fonts/300pk		LaserJet fonts in .300pk format
	~/fonts/300pk/hershey	Hershey fonts in .300pk format
	~/fonts/300pk/jetroff	JetRoff fonts in .300pk format
	~/fonts/tex		LaserJet font TeX support files
	~/fonts/tex/hershey	LaserJet Hershey font TeX support files
	~/fonts/tex/metafont	LaserJet font TeX metafont files
	~/fonts/sfp		LaserJet fonts in .sfp format
	~/fonts/sfp/cm		The Computer Modern fonts in .sfp format

	~/fonts/deskjet		DeskJet fonts
	~/fonts/hershey		Hershey fonts
	~/fonts/ps		PostScript fonts
	~/fonts/qms		QMS fonts
	~/fonts/vga		VGA screen fonts

	~/fonts/util		Font utilities
	~/fonts/util/src	Font utilities source, where available

NEW SUBMISSIONS:

	Computer Modern fonts in .sfp format
		(6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, 14, 17 point in roman, bold, italic)
	qfont 1.5 font editor
		(shareware; much improved over 1.3)
	jetscape 1.2 portrait/landscape conversion program
		(copyrighted but free)
	jetwidth 1.1 width table generator
		(copyrighted but free)
	Garamet and Optima in .sfp
		(several new sizes and styles)
	wordhplj .prd print driver generator
		(shareware; restrictive but functional)
	djfont LaserJet to DeskJet soft font converter
		(free)

Contributions are always welcome.  In particular, I'm looking for font
conversion programs for just about every font format.  Please mail them
to tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu or place them in the ~/new directory with
an explanatory note.

                                        \tom haapanen
"now, you didn't really expect          tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu
 my views to have anything to do        watmims research group
 with my employer's, did you?"          university of waterloo

"I don't even know what street Canada is on"  -- Al Capone

tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen) (12/28/89)

Tom Haapanen <tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu> writes:
> [...] To access the archive via ftp, use the ftp program to connect to
> mims-iris.waterloo.edu (129.97.129.116); use userid 'ftp' and enter your
> real userid as the password.  Use binary mode to transfer all compressed
> files.  [Since our OS upgrade, the ftp connection is now fully functional
> with no known bugs.  -ed.]

Well, there was still a bug in our inet daemon configuration, so the ftp
daemon was refusing connections.  I do believe that it is now functional;
please try again if you were rejected by the archive before.

                                        \tom haapanen
"now, you didn't really expect          tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu
 my views to have anything to do        watmims research group
 with my employer's, did you?"          university of waterloo

"I don't even know what street Canada is on"  -- Al Capone

tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen) (02/27/90)

		    The mims-iris Font Archive
		    --------------------------

SUMMARY:

The mims-iris font archive is a publicly accessible location for fonts;
it is primarily oriented towards LaserJet fonts, although it does have
some others as well (PostScript and VGA).  The archive contains currently
some 8.0 MB of fonts and font utilities, compressed with either compress(1)
or PKZIP.  All of the fonts and utilities are, to the best of my knowledge,
freely distributable, although some are shareware.

ACCESS:

To access the archive via ftp, use the ftp program to connect to
mims-iris.waterloo.edu (129.97.129.116); use userid 'ftp' and enter your
real userid as the password.  Use binary mode to transfer all compressed
files.  NOTE:  Please try to avoid accessing the archive between 8 AM and
5 PM EST, as our network links are heavily loaded.  Thanks!

To access the archive by mail, send a mail message to the userid
font-server@mims-iris.waterloo.edu with your request(s) in the message
body.  You might start by sending a message 'help' or asking for the
index ('send index').  The message for 'help' contains a list of
accessible directories and their aliases.  The mail server usually
responds quite quickly; if you get no response within a few days, send
a note to font-panic@mims-iris.waterloo.edu.

[...]

[ \tom haapanen -- university of waterloo -- tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu    ]
[ "i say what i say, but i say it for myself and myself only" -- me        ]
[ "i don't even know what street canada is on"                -- al capone ]

tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen) (03/01/90)

		Updates to the mims-iris font archive
		-------------------------------------

NEW ITEMS:

/fonts/chunks:
	This directory contains chunked versions of files that were
	previously too large for the mail server.
/fonts/mac:
	A selection of Mac fonts, mostly from info-mac archives.
/fonts/util:
	fontcvt.shar  -- Mac-to-Vfont converter
	showpcl.arc   -- LaserJet PCL command viewer (from SIMTEL)

jdudeck@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (John R. Dudeck) (03/02/90)

>		Updates to the mims-iris font archive

Are there any fonts for MS Windows there?  I didn't see what looked like
MS Windows fonts in the list, but perhaps it just wasn't mentioned.

--
John Dudeck                           "You want to read the code closely..."
jdudeck@Polyslo.CalPoly.Edu             -- C. Staley, in OS course, teaching

tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen) (03/02/90)

John R. Dudeck <jdudeck@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU> writes:
> Are there any fonts for MS Windows there?  I didn't see what looked like
> MS Windows fonts in the list, but perhaps it just wasn't mentioned.

Sorry, no!  But if someone's got some free Windows fonts, I'd love to hear
from them.  Or maybe a way to generate Windows fonts from HP softfonts?
Or from something else?  I suppose I could write yet another font conversion
program, but I'm a little bit low on spare time right now...

If you're willing to contribute, plese send me email!

ries@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM (Marc Ries) (03/03/90)

In article <25edd19d.3451@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU> jdudeck@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (John R. Dudeck) writes:
->>		Updates to the mims-iris font archive
->Are there any fonts for MS Windows there?  I didn't see what looked like
->MS Windows fonts in the list, but perhaps it just wasn't mentioned.

    If you have a converter program, any HP LaserJet soft font can be
    made into a "MS Windows font".  I happen to use WYSIWYfonts! from
    Soft Craft, but there are at least 5 companies that sell converters
    ranging from $$ to $$$.

--
Marc Ries
           ries@venice.sedd.trw.com     (ARPA)

woody@rpp386.cactus.org (Woodrow Baker) (03/04/90)

In article <345@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM>, ries@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM (Marc Ries) writes:
> In article <25edd19d.3451@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU> jdudeck@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (John R. Dudeck) writes:
> ->>		Updates to the mims-iris font archive
> ->Are there any fonts for MS Windows there?  I didn't see what looked like
> ->MS Windows fonts in the list, but perhaps it just wasn't mentioned.
>
>     If you have a converter program, any HP LaserJet soft font can be
>     made into a "MS Windows font".  I happen to use WYSIWYfonts! from
>     Soft Craft, but there are at least 5 companies that sell converters
>     ranging from $$ to $$$.
>

> --
> Marc Ries
>            ries@venice.sedd.trw.com     (ARPA)
>            somewhere!trwind!venice!ries (UUCP)
>            #include <std.disclaimer>

Can you supply names and addresses, and prices?

Cheers
Woody

ttak@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Timothy Takahashi) (03/05/90)

I'd love to hear if anybodys got a screen font for the HP Math character sets.
WYSIWYG word processing is great, but if only i could do equations.

tim takahashi

pierre@hpgnd.HP.COM (Pierre DEJARDIN) (03/05/90)

Working for Hewlett Packard and using TeX on a 9000 series computer, I
downloaded some fonts from mims-iris. As you mentionned in the README.1st
and README_1 files there may be a problem with these fonts due to the
tfmwidth parameter not set. I've got the problem. Is there a way to generate
pk files and tfm files that set this parameter? Where can I find an appropriate
version of "sfp2pk" and "pk2tfm" utilities to correct this problem? Are these
files in the public domain?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Pierre DEJARDIN. Hewlett Packard. Grenoble Networks Division.