[comp.fonts] Working .300pk fonts for New Century..., etc?

marshall@mozart.ces.cwru.edu ( ) (03/05/90)

	I looked on the mimi-iris fonts archive and found loads of
.pk fonts for use with LaTeX. Unfortunately, they do not work
with Nelson Beebe's .dvi previewers such as DVIVGA. Does anyone know
1) how to get the two to work together, or 2) correctly-working .pk
fonts for PostScript fonts like New Century Schoolbook?

	As for the fonts "not working", all the characters on a single
line end up piled on top of each other. Not very satisfactory.

	Thanks.

   -- Martin.

Warning: this computer frequently posts without my information or consent.
Anything you are reading here should be construed as opinions only of my
computer's CPU chip, and not of any individual, company, or small furry
creature from Alpha Centuri.

tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen) (03/05/90)

  <marshall@mozart.ces.cwru.edu> writes:

> 	I looked on the mimi-iris fonts archive and found loads of
> .pk fonts for use with LaTeX. Unfortunately, they do not work
> with Nelson Beebe's .dvi previewers such as DVIVGA. Does anyone know
> 1) how to get the two to work together, or 2) correctly-working .pk
> fonts for PostScript fonts like New Century Schoolbook?

Well, well, well.  It appears that there is a problem with the .tfm files
at mims-iris when using the latest TeX.  I can't check this myself (since
I don't have TeX), but I have been promised updates to the .tfm files
Real Soon Now.  So maybe check back again next week?

[ \tom haapanen -- university of waterloo -- tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu    ]
[ "i say what i say, but i say it for myself and myself only" -- me        ]
[ "i don't even know what street canada is on"                -- al capone ]

mcdonald@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Doug McDonald) (03/05/90)

In article <1329@watserv1.waterloo.edu> tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen) writes:

>  <marshall@mozart.ces.cwru.edu> writes:
>>
>> 	I looked on the mimi-iris fonts archive and found loads of
>> .pk fonts for use with LaTeX. Unfortunately, they do not work
>> with Nelson Beebe's .dvi previewers such as DVIVGA. Does anyone know
>> 1) how to get the two to work together, or 2) correctly-working .pk
>> fonts for PostScript fonts like New Century Schoolbook?
>
>Well, well, well.  It appears that there is a problem with the .tfm files
>at mims-iris when using the latest TeX.  I can't check this myself (since
>I don't have TeX), but I have been promised updates to the .tfm files
>Real Soon Now.  So maybe check back again next week?

(I tried mail but it bounced - and had to use the numerical Internet
address to ftp.)

It looks to me like the .tfm files are at least readable,
but the .pk files are bad. Are you sure they were uploaded
in binary mode?

If these files are to be useable with my previewers dvivga and
dvimswin, for the VGA/EGA/MCGA and Microsoft Windows respectively,
you will need, as a minimum, sizes (in dots per inch)
100, 121, and 145, though 92, 110, 132 , 158 and 174 would also be
nice, especially 92 and 110. There aren't many people with
displays big enough to view a page with 300 d.p.i. fonts!
(And if there are ANY such people out there, I would like to
hear from them. Such displays DO exist for PC's.)

Doug McDonald

pierre@hpgnd.HP.COM (Pierre DEJARDIN) (03/06/90)

I downloaded myself some fonts from the mims-iris host and
I have the same problem running TeX on a 9000 series HP computer. I figure
out that the tfmwidth parameter is not set in the .pk files; this should
be corrected with a correct "sfp2pk" translator program. Unfortunately, I
don't have any idea of where to get this beast. Anybody could help?

Pierre DEJARDIN. Hewlett Packard FRANCE.