[comp.fonts] Legal postscript fonts?

In article <10623@netcom.UUCP> maffett@netcom.UUCP (Tim Maffett) writes:
>>Stealing other peoples' work is unethical even when it is not illegal.
>   once again, this is not stealing, Mr. Boortz is not proposing the
>distribution of the actual Postscript programs created by others, he
>is proposing creating his OWN version of a typeface...

He is proposing to use other peoples' work -- creating the letter shapes
of a font is *not* easy to do well -- for his own purposes without
compensation to them.  Sounds like stealing to me.  Don't confuse the
difficult task of designing shapes with the largely-mechanical chore
of encoding them for computer reproduction, just because the easy part
is legally protected and the hard part isn't.  He's still using someone
else's work.
--
With features like this,      |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
who needs bugs?               | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu