[comp.fonts] PC screendump to PostScript

hess@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Caleb Hess) (06/29/90)

Does there exist a PostScript font containing the PC graphics characters
for line drawing?  We would like to be able to do screen dumps from a PC
by simply using a matching font, rather than having to recreate the
graphics.

woody@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Woody Baker @ Eagle Signal) (06/30/90)

In article <49247@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu>, hess@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Caleb Hess) writes:

> Does there exist a PostScript font containing the PC graphics characters
> for line drawing?  We would like to be able to do screen dumps from a PC
I believe that if you have MS-WORD 4.x (i think) and Certianly 5.0, there
is a font built into the prolog.  I think that Wordperfect also has one
built in.  Most of the newer wordprocessors that support line-drawing
should have one in the preamble.  for MS word, look at the postscript
.ini file...
Cheers
Woody

spage@cup.portal.com (S spage Page) (07/01/90)

Microsoft Word for the PC defines a LineDraw font with only the line drawing
characters in it.

Several graphics converters can print text screen capture on PostScript
printers.  To do this they need an IBM PC character font.  I know Hijaak
has one.  Also TOPS NetPrint for the PC (may be obsolete with Tops 3.0)
has some kind of Epson/IBM PostScript font in it to handle graphics from
PC programs.

Oh, you wanted something free?!  Sorry, can't help you...
=S Page		read William Gibson's books NOW!

vgopal@cbnewsc.att.com (venu.p.gopal) (07/02/90)

In article <49247@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> hess@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Caleb Hess) writes:

>Does there exist a PostScript font containing the PC graphics characters
>for line drawing?  We would like to be able to do screen dumps from a PC
>by simply using a matching font, rather than having to recreate the
>graphics.

You don't have to write your own - there is PC screendump to postscript
program available called Screen-to-Postscript (SCRtoPS).  It will capture
text images including all PC graphics characters in text mode i.e. using
fonts, not graphics mode.  It also does capture graphics modes -CGA,EGA,
VGA etc. and will convert color to grayscale for EGA/VGA/SuperVGA.  The
output may be sent to the printer port or saved as an encapsulated
postscript file.

The program is sold by Offe Enterprises - the number is (708)-357-6679 and
costs $49.95 plus $5 shipping (plus 6.75% tax in Illinois. There is a discount
of $10 for pre-paid orders). The address is 1163 E. Ogden Ave., #705-131,
Naperville, IL, USA 60563).  I believe a capture+post-processing program
to capture the "attributes" (read colors/blinking) also and convert them
to different foreground/background shades/thicknesses with a built-in editor
to select the mapping is also available for a higher price.

The nice thing about SCRtoPS is that it captures text in text form
and takes up only 10K of memory as a TSR.  Resulting files will read into
Venutura and Word Perfect too.  The graphics files do not use any run
length encoding and tend to be big.

Venu P. Gopal   UUCP: ..!att!cbnewsc!vgopal   Internet: vgopal@cbnewsc.att.com