[comp.fonts] Facts on font protection.

karl@umb.umb.edu (Karl Berry) (07/06/90)

1) There is no copyright protection for fonts in the United States.
You can therefore scan any images you like from a type specimen catalog
(say), and do whatever you want with them. Of course, if you scan images
from a book, and distribute the images, and the book has the standard
clause about ``...may not be introduced into a retrieval system...'' in
its copyright, the publisher will probably not be happy with you (if
they ever find out you did it). But if you just use the data, you aren't
doing anything illegal.  (This is what we're doing to make typefaces for
GNU.)

2) You can get patent protection for fonts in the U.S., probably based
on, as one poster suggested, sufficient advance over the state of the
art. The one typeface I know of that is patented is Lucida, designed by
Chuck Bigelow & Kris Holmes.  (The advance over the state of the art,
roughly speaking, is that the design is meant to rasterize well at
medium-to-low resolutions, i.e., laser printers, not just at typesetter
resolutions.)

3) West Germany passed a typeface protection law in 1981.  It was not
retroactive. Many designs are therefore copyrighted in West Germany, and
copies of those designs could not legally be circulated there. But
designs done prior to 1981 are not protected (although some companies
have since copyrighted their versions of classic typefaces).

4) England passed a typeface protection in 1988 (I think, give or take a
year). It protects only designs done by English artists.  It *was*
retroactive.  What this means is not at all clear; no one to my
knowledge has ever been prosecuted under this law. As one example, take
Times Roman, designed in 1932 (pretty long ago, but not centuries) by
Stanley Morison (an Englishman), among others (e.g., Victor Lardent, the
punchcutter) for the London Times, first cut by Monotype.  There have
been hundreds (at least dozens) of copies of Times Roman.  Are all those
copies illegal now, i.e., could Monotype sue every other typeface
company in the world that has a knockoff of Times? Seems unreasonable to
me, but there's no evidence one way or another. As a more extreme
example, take the Baskerville faces designed by John Baskerville (an
Englishman), around 1768.  Can Baskerville's heirs sue all the typeface
companies? Seems very highly totally extremely unlikely, but there's no
evidence.

5) I don't believe any other countries have any sort of typeface
protection.

6) It is true that ``fonts are a tool''. But fonts are also a work of
art. It takes as much time and creative effort to design a typeface as
it does to write a novel, a large computer program, or what have you.
It certainly seems unjust to me that type designers are not rewarded for
their efforts. For a long time, type designers could make a living
(although generally they did other things as well), because the means of
font production was so expensive that only a few big companies could
afford it. Now anyone with a PC can produce a font.

I personally do not feel strongly that copyright protection for fonts is
the best thing that society to do. What I do feel strongly about is that
type designers should be rewarded for their efforts. This can happen
without copyright protection: for example, people could commission a
type designer.  Even though the results would be free, i.e., potentially
anyone could benefit, the people who wanted it most would pay for it.

karl@cs.umb.edu

dhosek@sif.claremont.edu (Hosek, Donald A.) (07/06/90)

In article <1172@umb.umb.edu>, karl@umb.umb.edu (Karl Berry) writes...
Grossly chopped down:

>3) West Germany passed a typeface protection law in 1981.
>4) England passed a typeface protection in 1988 (I think, give or take a
>year).
>5) I don't believe any other countries have any sort of typeface
>protection.

France has copyright protection for fonts and Switzerland has
been considering it.

>6) It is true that ``fonts are a tool''. But fonts are also a work of
>art. It takes as much time and creative effort to design a typeface as
>it does to write a novel, a large computer program, or what have you.
>It certainly seems unjust to me that type designers are not rewarded for
>their efforts. For a long time, type designers could make a living
>(although generally they did other things as well), because the means of
>font production was so expensive that only a few big companies could
>afford it. Now anyone with a PC can produce a font.

>I personally do not feel strongly that copyright protection for fonts is
>the best thing that society to do. What I do feel strongly about is that
>type designers should be rewarded for their efforts. This can happen
>without copyright protection: for example, people could commission a
>type designer.  Even though the results would be free, i.e., potentially
>anyone could benefit, the people who wanted it most would pay for it.

Copyright protection is more than a means of guaranteeing that
the font designer gets the money they deserve. It also can be
used as a guard against the production of inferior fonts (cf TeX,
which uses Copyright and Trademark protection to guarantee that
all TeXs are functionally equivalent).

Also, while your plan for how new typefaces might be created is
unlikely to give any type designer money to live on (I speak from
experience on this one). The types that are desired are seldom
things like ("gee, I'd like a new typeface that works well for
typesetting Latin [as in ancient Roman] texts"). Instead, the
cases where people are willing to pay to commission a typeface,
at least in the modern climate, are generally more along the
lines of, "we need a Hangul font" or "we need an Arabic font"
with little more than that specified. While this does leave a lot
of freedom for the designer, it doesn't do anything to expand the
bounds of traditional text faces.

-dh

---
Don Hosek                         TeX, LaTeX, and Metafont Consulting and
dhosek@ymir.claremont.edu         production work. Free Estimates.
dhosek@ymir.bitnet
uunet!jarthur!ymir                Phone: 714-625-0147

DLV@CUNYVMS1.BITNET (07/06/90)

I know the following sounds a bit paranoid, but looking at what's happening
with copyright protection of computer software---I mean specifically the 'look
and feel' craziness, that stems, I believe from the lawsuit against McDonald's
who allegedly infinged against someone's look and feel with their puppet
characters. Presently, one big software company is suing another big software
company claiming that it infringed on its look and feel by using 's' as
abbreviation for 'save' and 'fr' for 'file retrieval'; another lawsuit concerns
the use of a picture of a trash can on the screen. I can very well imagine
something similar happening with typefaces, where 'look and feel' is a lot more
applicable. Imagine font designer A suing B over misusing his 'g', B
countersuing A because the 'g' was original designed by Bodoni and hence A's
copyright is invalid, and the judge finding for A because Bodini is not a party
to the suit, and anyway the statute of limitations for that claim has expired.
This sort of silliness undoubtedly awaits us if typefaces are thus protected.

Dimitri Vulis
Department of Mathematics
City University of New York Graduate Center

Administrator of RUSTEX-L, the Russian text processing mailing list