[comp.fonts] a thought regarding possible patent protection for fonts

marek@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Marek Lugowski) (07/04/90)

The following is a serious proposal.  Are there others like it?

Perhaps we should require all future font designers wishing to patent
their fonts to put enough of a demonstrable advance over the "state of art"
into their submitted creations to withstand a burden of proof not unlike
leveled against novel electronic circuits?  This is not unlike applying for
patents for other things.  Create a new font and show to the U.S. Patent
Office's satisfaction that you have advanced some aspect of fonts over
and above what is out there.

Copyright for fonts is a mistake, in that fonts are tools and should be
protected as tools are.  Fonts are also a cultural property first in
the sense that airwaves are.  After all, if you will show me your font,
you are performing access to my perceptual and memetic system and thus
to that of the community.  Perhaps that relinquishes much of any copyright
protection afforded to you were you to keep your font to yourself and your
friends.

Naturally, all present typefaces are by default "state of the art" and thus
present the burden of proof to be dealt with.

                        -- Marek

Ideas?  Comments?  Exceptionally painful flames?... (smirk)

In article <49667@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> marek@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Marek Lugowski) writes:
>The following is a serious proposal.  Are there others like it?
>
>Perhaps we should require all future font designers wishing to patent
>their fonts to put enough of a demonstrable advance over the "state of art"
>into their submitted creations to withstand a burden of proof not unlike
>leveled against novel electronic circuits?  This is not unlike applying for
>patents for other things.  Create a new font and show to the U.S. Patent
>Office's satisfaction that you have advanced some aspect of fonts over
>and above what is out there.

Hey, I can see the patent opinions now:

Font A:  A trained reader of latin fonts can easily recognize the text in
         font A; it closely resembles fonts used in everyday printing.
         There is thus no advance in the art not self evident to an expert
         in the field.  Patent denied.

Font B:  No one on the review committee or in the test group were able to
         recognize a single ideograph of this font from knowledge of prior
         fonts or fonts in current use.  An obvious advance in the state of
         the art, uncompromised by any present art.  Patent granted.

Or wasn't that quite what you had in mind?  ;-)

Kent, the man from xanth.