[comp.fonts] Cyrillic

hk@simulina.se (H}kan K{llberg) (08/02/89)

Hello net friends!

For PostScript people:

I need to handel cyrillic texts, so I need a Postscript russian font. I
have an Apple Laser. Please give me a hint of public or commercial
ones. I also need font metric files so I can use troff/transcript.

For Sun people:

I also need a SunVeiw font to handle it on the screen. If possible in
some different sizes.  This I can produce myself, with the font editor
and a lot of time that I rather spend on other things, so if some of
you have done it already I would be more than happy to share it with
you. I have a Sun 3/60 running OS 3.5.

Please, answer by E-mail. I'll summarize to comp.fonts if I get good
answers.

Thank you for your time.

--
Hakan Kallberg                         Tel: nat 031 - 18 61 24
Simulina AB                                 int +46 - 31 18 61 24

henry@jtsv16.UUCP (Joe H. Pinski) (08/03/89)

In article <1010@simulina.se> hk@simulina.se (H}kan K{llberg) writes:
>Hello net friends!
>
>For PostScript people:
>
>I need to handel cyrillic texts, so I need a Postscript russian font. I
>have an Apple Laser. Please give me a hint of public or commercial
>ones. I also need font metric files so I can use troff/transcript.

I need the same.
Thanks

--
  Don't you really know how it ain't gonna look like by 2000 A.D ?

     +=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
     |                                   |             |     |
     +      henry@jtsv16.jts.com         + Olami sheli [:-X  +
     |                                   |             |     |
     +=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

uri@arnor.UUCP (Uri Blumenthal) (08/04/89)

From article <1041@jtsv16.UUCP>, by henry@jtsv16.UUCP (Joe H. Pinski):
> In article <1010@simulina.se> hk@simulina.se (H}kan K{llberg) writes:
>>Hello net friends!
>>
>>For PostScript people:
>>
>>I need to handel cyrillic texts, so I need a Postscript russian font. I
>>have an Apple Laser. Please give me a hint of public or commercial
>>ones. I also need font metric files so I can use troff/transcript.

And me, pelase. Thank you.

Uri.			(uunet!bywater!arnor!uri)

hallett@mrsvr.UUCP (Jeff Hallett) (08/04/89)

In article <1041@jtsv16.UUCP>, henry@jtsv16.UUCP (Joe H. Pinski) writes:
> In article <1010@simulina.se> hk@simulina.se (H}kan K{llberg) writes:
> >
> >I need to handel cyrillic texts, so I need a Postscript russian font.
> >I have an Apple Laser. Please give me a hint of public or commercial
> >ones. I also need font metric files so I can use troff/transcript.
> >
> I need the same.
> Thanks

To the best of my knowledge, Adobe has a cyrillic font.  If worse
comes to worse, I believe Fontographer can turn a bitmapped font into
a laser font.  Purchase a copy of Fontographer and transform one of
the PD Cyrillic fonts.  (BTW, Fontographer is cheaper than most
Adobe fonts).

--
                Jeffrey A. Hallett, PET Software Engineering
                    GE Medical Systems, W641, PO Box 414

briand@tekig4.LEN.TEK.COM (Brian Diehm) (08/05/89)

>>For PostScript people:
>>
>>I need to handel cyrillic texts, so I need a Postscript russian font. I
>>have an Apple Laser. Please give me a hint of public or commercial
>>ones. I also need font metric files so I can use troff/transcript.

Casady & Greene, in Monterey, CA, have it.

--
-Brian Diehm
Tektronix, Inc.                (503) 627-3437         briand@tekig4.LEN.TEK.COM

riem@ztivax.UUCP (Raimund Riem) (08/10/89)

Some times ago I had also need for cyrillic fonts, but not with the
keyboard layout of an IBM typewriter. The layout we use is oriented at
the sound of a cyrillic letter. But we also have a keymap resource for
IBM typewriter layout.

Because I could not find a distributor for good quality cyrillic fonts, I
decided to make them by myself with fontographer.

I made one font like helvetica (its called Leningrad1)
one like times (Petersburg)
one is a copy of a font in a tale book (tolstoi)
and a postscript version of the public domain font moscow. (russian typewriter)

I use this fonts for the production of magazines and advertisements on a
Laserwriter or Linotronic.

Problem:
Only for Leningrad1 (Vilnys = bold Version) I have no other styles (bold, italic).
The exact version of an italic font is very different from the computer version.
(automatically produced by angle)

I can not use postscript hints. Small sizes (like 8 point or less) are bolder on
a LaserWriter (300 dpi) as on Linotronic. Someone an idea to manage this?

I got a book in Moscow with the original USSR fonts and all their typefaces and
I have to say, that fonts (cyrillic) you can buy in the West are not exact
Russian fonts.

If someone is interested in this stuff, send me a mail.

Raimund Riem, ZFE2KOM33, Siemens AG, Munich, West - Germany
mail: @riem!ztivax
Private adress: R. Riem, Steinsdorfstrasse 6, D-8000 Muenchen 22
West Germany

hk@simulina.se (H}kan K{llberg) (08/15/89)

I wrote:

>I need to handle cyrillic texts, so I need a PostScript russian font.

>I also need a SunVeiw font to handle it on the screen.

>Please, answer by E-mail. I'll summarize to comp.fonts if I get good
>answers.

I did! So here it is:  ( sorry for the delay )

There seems to be two lines of solutions - The TeX way and regular
PostScript fonts.

The TeX fonts seem to be free of charge and Scott Horne
<horne-scott@YALE.ARPA> (..!harvard!yale!horne) promised to
send me the fonts if I wanted them. Also Maverick
<shoopak@topaz.rutgers.edu> has them.

PostScript fonts that are delivered for the Mac has font metrics
files that transcript can use and there are screenfonts for the
Mac included. These are convertible to fonts for the Sun. You need
a free program that I don't know the name of, but Dan Sahlin
<dan@sics.se> has it.

Here comes the list of fonts.

Kirillitsa from CasadyWare. Sold by Mac dealers.

Linguist Software has a font too. Mac dealers.

Devonian International, P.O. Box 2351, Montclair, CA 91763
Has one that covers several slavonic languages and turkish.

Windsorgraphics, Kings House, Kings Arms Lane, Ringwood, Hampshire
BH24 1AH
Has one by name Laserperfect.

Per Ambrosiani by Slavic Institution, U of Stockholm
Tel: +46 8 16 20 00  ( to the U ).
He has made the font with Fontographer.

Educorp Inc. has one in their shareware/pd catalog...
Tel: 1-800-843-9497.

Casady & Greene, in Monterey, CA, have it.

In comp.text we saw that:

Raimund Riem, ZFE2KOM33, Siemens AG, Munich, West - Germany
mail: @riem!ztivax
Private address: R. Riem, Steinsdorfstrasse 6, D-8000 Muenchen 22
West Germany

has made some variants with Fontographer.
His address seems very strange to me. In the header it stood:
<riem@ztivax.UUCP>   (Habst du mein antwort bekommt?)

Well, that was a lot to choose between. Thank you very much
everyone.

By the way, if you need remaping of your Sun keyboard there
is a good program that is called Sunkeys. It works very well
for me.

				Hakan
--
Hakan Kallberg                         Tel: nat 031 - 18 61 24
Simulina AB                                 int +46 - 31 18 61 24
Egnahemsv  22 C                        E-mail: hk@simulina.se
S-413 21  GOTEBORG   Sweden

riem@ztivax.UUCP (Raimund Riem) (08/17/89)

Hello friends of cyrillic fonts!

Sorry I am late, but we had some holydays and
then the machine had been crashed for a day.
So now I will reply.

This morning, when I opened my EMail box, I found a
lot of mail. There must be a russian invasion. It seems
to me, that everyone want to print russian text.
So, sorry, but I can not answer to everyone individually.
I will resume the answers and questions in this
group.

1. The fonts I developed are postscript downloadable fonts and
    work with LaserWriter and Linotronic on an Apple Macintosh.
2. Each postscript version as a couple of screen versions.
    sizes: 9, 10, 12, 14, 18, 24
3.  For the screen versions I spent only a little time,
     so they dont look as fine as the printed font on the
     LaserWriter. So, its not good to use these fonts
     on ImageWriters.
4.  Fontdescription:
    a) Leningrad1 is a stroke font and has the same sizes
        as Helvetica. Part of the characters (like !@#$%^&*...)
        I took from Helvetica.
        I use this font for advertisements and technical
        documentations.
    b) Vilnys is the bold version of Leningrad1
    c) Petersburg is an outline font. Part of the characters
        were taken from Times. The font has the same sizes
        as Times. This font is very good readable and I use it
        for articles in magazines and newspapers.
        For large bold headlines one need
        a bold version of this font. But til yet I had not
        time to develope it. It will be ready til the end
        of year,- I hope.
    d) Tolstoi: I developed it via scanner from a russian
         childrens talebook.  The font is little haevier.
         as Petersburg and has also different style..

     e) Cyrillic is the postscript version of the PD font
         Moscow. I did it just for fun and quick. It looks
         like these russian typewriters they use in
         the USSR. I made this font for copying the
         typewriter style. Someone guesses why?
         screensize only 12 points available.

    For Petersburg I plan to make also an italic version,
    because italic russian characters are much different
    from the computed italic version.

5. Keyboard layout
    for russian text is not standard, because the
    russian alphabet has more characters then the latin.
    We decided to use a mnemonic keyboard layout.
    There are two reasons for this decision:
     a) You can use german rules for automatic
         hyphenation. It works 98% with our layout
         and is better then the russian hyphenation
         in the text program Ragtime 2.0, we found out
      b) its easy to learn and if someone is used to
          type on a keyboard like the IBM typewriter,
          he can change the keyboard mapping via
          Macromaker and Control Panel. We made also
          a KMAP resource for that purpose.

6. I never tried out the fonts on different machines,
   maybe Fontographer can produce also a postscript text
   file one can transfer to Amiga etc. I dont know
   and have not enough time to solve this. Sorry.

7. Distribution:
   To send all this "stuff" via EMAIL is a little bit
   crazy - a lot of kbytes on the net.
   So I think its better to send diskettes via normal
   mail.

   If someone is interested in a test printing of all
   the fonts I described above, he (or she) should
   send an envelope with his (her) adress.  I will send
   a LaserWriter printout.

   I spent much time in developing these fonts and
   I do not like to distribute them just for nothing and I
   slso would be a poor man for sending diskettes and
   letters to all those interested people. So I decided
   to sell the fonts for a symbolic price of
   $90.-. This includes all the postscript fonts, the
   screen versions, but not the source code.
   So interested people can contact me:

   Adress:  Raimund Riem
                 Steinsdorfstrasse 6
                 D-8000 Muenchen (Munich)
                 W.-Germany
                 Tel. 0043 89 293250
                 Fax 0043 89 2913985

   If you want to buy these fonts, please dont
   forget a cheque.

   Someone asked me for croatian fonts:
   I know a fellow also developing russian fonts
   and old dyrillic fonts. He sells his product for
   about 500.- DM per font.

   If someone is interested in other cyrillic stuff,
   contact
   HSD - Mannheim, Tel 0621 709069, W.-Germany
   (distibutor)
   or
   Dr. Mozgovoy, Tel. 0681 813379, W.=Germany
   (developer)

  or Fa. URW, Harksheiderstrasse 65
      D-2000 Hamburg 65
      Tel. 040 60 60 50
       per font 700./ DM
       They also sell a program like fontographer

The book I mentioned in my last article, is the offical
typesetting standard book of the USSR and has been
printed 30 years ago and only 15000.

If someone has a new version of Fontographer or
another better program (I only have an old
buggy version of Fontographer)
and interested in developing
cyrillic fonts, I would be happy to get
a contact.

Ok, for today its enough. I hope that I answered all
questions.

R. Riem - riem@ztivax

dan@scooter.Rosemount.COM (Dan Messinger) (07/12/90)

Anyone know where I can obtain a Cyrillic font for use with X windows?

Dan Messinger
dan@scooter.rosemount.com

dal@com50.c2s.mn.org (Dale Schumacher) (07/14/90)

| Anyone know where I can obtain a Cyrillic font for use with X windows?
|
| Dan Messinger
| dan@scooter.rosemount.com

Check in the contrib directories for release 4.  I contributed a bunch of
fonts (including, the one I'm told has become the new "fixed" font) to
release 4, and I think I included a "courier/cyrillic" in 8x16 and 8x14.
If not, contact me and I'm sure I can get something to you.