[comp.fonts] Questions about Adobe Type Manager on the Mac

kibo@pawl15.pawl.rpi.edu (James 'Kibo' Parry) (07/23/90)

[]
	(I have no experience with Adobe Type Manager, so please forgive me
if these questions are very basic.  I may be getting a Mac soon, and ATM
will be a factor in my decision as to what variety to buy...)

	1.)  What sort of fonts does ATM use?  Does it require special
just-for-ATM Adobe fonts, or can it load normal Adobe Type 1s?  (How
about plain Type 3s, and Image Club fonts?)

	2.)  Does ATM allow you to print the fonts on non-PostScript printers?

	3.)  How much memory does ATM use?  (I.e. would I have plenty of
room left over if I used it with PageMaker or Illustrator 88, etc.?)

	Many thanks in advance...

--
james "kibo" parry, 138 birch lane, scotia, ny 12302 <-- close to schenectady.
kibo@pawl.rpi.edu            _________________________________________________

broe@plains.UUCP (Paul Broe) (07/23/90)

In article <1+1$W?$@rpi.edu> kibo@pawl15.pawl.rpi.edu (James 'Kibo' Parry) writes:
->	1.)  What sort of fonts does ATM use?  Does it require special
->just-for-ATM Adobe fonts, or can it load normal Adobe Type 1s?  (How
->about plain Type 3s, and Image Club fonts?)
ATM works with any Adobe Type 1 font. I don't know about the others.

->	2.)  Does ATM allow you to print the fonts on non-PostScript printers?
Yes. It improves the output of an Imagewriter II nicely. (Especially at point
sizes >12)

->	3.)  How much memory does ATM use?  (I.e. would I have plenty of
->room left over if I used it with PageMaker or Illustrator 88, etc.?)
You decide how much memory it gets. (I have my font cache set at 512k now
and performance is reasonable considering this is a 8MHz 68000.) The first time
a font is loaded performance is slow, but when you use that font again,
performance improves. In short, you *definitely* want more than 1Meg of ram.
(I have 4Meg.) It all depends on how much ram you get in your Mac. Which brings
me to this: *Don't buy your ram from Apple!!!!* Get a 1Meg Mac and buy Your
ram from a mail-order discount place. The Chip Merchant has been mentioned on
the net as being a good source at a low price, but I have no experience with
them.
->
->	Many thanks in advance...
->
You're welcome.

--
|---------------------signature version 3.7----------------------------------|
| "I have seen my next computer, and it is the Amiga 3000." - me             |

starta@tosh.UUCP (John Starta) (07/24/90)

kibo@pawl15.pawl.rpi.edu (James 'Kibo' Parry) writes:

> 	1.)  What sort of fonts does ATM use?  Does it require special
> just-for-ATM Adobe fonts, or can it load normal Adobe Type 1s?  (How
> about plain Type 3s, and Image Club fonts?)

ATM requires that you use Adobe Type 1 fonts. Type 3 fonts do not work, and
I don't know about Image Club fonts (they are Type 3, aren't they?). I seem
to recall that Image Club has a new font conversation utility out for their
fonts but I can't be certain of that. I would call them direct if you have
a large investment in theirs.

> 	2.)  Does ATM allow you to print the fonts on non-PostScript printers?

Yes, besides the improvement on the screen, ATM was designed for use with
non-postscript printers.

> 	3.)  How much memory does ATM use?  (I.e. would I have plenty of
> room left over if I used it with PageMaker or Illustrator 88, etc.?)

That depends on a number of different things. If you are going to be running
it under MultiFinder with PageMaker and Illustrator loaded, then you'll need
at least five megabytes of RAM (actually, the more the better). On the other
hand, if you are running only one [at a time], you can probably get away
with two megabytes of RAM. I would feel safer with five though.

John

dkletter@adobe.COM (Akbar & Jeff's SUPPORT GROUP for the vaguely dissatisfied) (07/24/90)

kibo@pawl15.pawl.rpi.edu (James 'Kibo' Parry) writes:

>	1.)  What sort of fonts does ATM use?  Does it require special
>just-for-ATM Adobe fonts, or can it load normal Adobe Type 1s?  (How
>about plain Type 3s, and Image Club fonts?)

it requires no special "just-for-ATM" type fonts. it does however, require
only Type1 fonts. we do not support any Type3 fonts.

>	2.)  Does ATM allow you to print the fonts on non-PostScript printers?

yes, this is one of the many benefits of ATM.

>	3.)  How much memory does ATM use?  (I.e. would I have plenty of
>room left over if I used it with PageMaker or Illustrator 88, etc.?)

ATM has a minimum requirement of a 1mb system. you can tell ATM just how
much memory (from what you have) should be used. meaning, you can change
the font cache from 32K up to 1meg. in the control panel for ATM. the
suggested setting is about 96K but if you're planning on having a lot
of fonts, you might want to try 512K, especially for Illustrator 88. so,
to answer your question, if you're running a 4mb system in Multi-Finder,
you will have pleanty of memory left over to run other applications.

hope this helps...

--
"Yellow... black and rectangular... with wedged shapes inside... Oh, I see
them everywhere... Am I losing my mind?"