[comp.fonts] Scalable weight fonts

ifarqhar@mqccsunc.mqcc.mq.oz.au (Ian Farquhar) (08/02/90)

Is anyone aware of any research into scaling the weight (not the size)
of a font?  This is an interesting area, and one which - if it were
able to be efficiently implemented - would add great utility to any
PDL or program.

--
Ian Farquhar                      Phone : 61 2 805-7420
Office of Computing Services      Fax   : 61 2 805-7433

dhosek@sif.claremont.edu (Hosek, Donald A.) (08/03/90)

In article <357@macuni.mqcc.mq.oz>, ifarqhar@mqccsunc.mqcc.mq.oz.au (Ian Farquhar) writes...
>Is anyone aware of any research into scaling the weight (not the size)
>of a font?  This is an interesting area, and one which - if it were
>able to be efficiently implemented - would add great utility to any
>PDL or program.

The most significant work along these lines that I know of is the
experimentation done by various individuals with Metafont. The
introduction to _Computer Modern Typefaces_ gives a brief
bibliography of work done in this area.

---
Don Hosek                         TeX, LaTeX, and Metafont Consulting and
dhosek@ymir.claremont.edu         production work. Free Estimates.
dhosek@ymir.bitnet
uunet!jarthur!ymir                Phone: 714-625-0147

colin@array.UUCP (Colin Plumb) (08/03/90)

This is an area where multi-parameter font generators like Metafont
and (from what I hear) Apple's Royal win big over Postscript and straight
linear scaling.

Somewhere around tenth on my "when I have a year to spare" list is building
myself a font, probably using Metafont.  Unlike the current Computer Modern
fonts, I'd like to try to produce orthogonal parameters, so I could increase
the point size, or change the aspect ratio or the weight of the font, without
changing anything else, and get a decent-looking font.

The way Computer Modern currently integrates several very different styles
(sans serif, typewriter, roman, etc.) into one font description file is
nice, but I'd like a system that didn't have any boolean variables, so
you could really produce a font that's semi-serifed.  Instead of a serifs
flag, a monospace flag, and a fixed-line-width flag, have a serif width
variable, a spacing uniformity variable, and a contrast variable.

Anyway, when I have a year to spare...
--
	-Colin

larry@csccat.UUCP (Larry Spence) (08/03/90)

In article <357@macuni.mqcc.mq.oz> ifarqhar@mqccsunc.mqcc.mq.oz.au (Ian Farquhar) writes:
>Is anyone aware of any research into scaling the weight (not the size)
>of a font?  This is an interesting area, and one which - if it were
>able to be efficiently implemented - would add great utility to any
>PDL or program.

In addition to the obvious example (Knuth's Metafont), there is a PC font
generator called Parafont that does some sort of non-linear scaling.  I
don't have a reference handy, but they run ads in the usual desktop
publishing magazines (in the US, mags like Publish, Personal Publishing,
etc.)

Addison-Wesley publishes an entire set of books on TeX and Metafont, authored
by Knuth.  There are at least two on Metafont.  One is more of a "user's
guide," the other contains full source code and thorough documentation.

--
Larry Spence
larry@csccat