[comp.fonts] Icelandic characters

etxstwi@juno13.ericsson.se (Stefan Wikstrom TM/JUF 7191288) (08/12/90)

I'm looking for a postcript font with the Icelandic characters which look
almost like a 'p' and a 'd', whatever they are called, in both upper and
lower case. The font face should be Helvetica, Helvetica-Bold and Courier or
very similar fonts. Can anyone from Iceland or elsewhere help me with this.

Do anyone know the reason why these characters are not included as standard
in Adobe PostScript fonts? All other european characters seem to have been
included.

  Stefan Wikstrom
  E-mail : etxstwi@juno.ericsson.se
  UUCP : ...!mcsun!sunic!ericom.ericsson.se!juno.ericsson.se!etxstwi

lee@sq.sq.com (Liam R. E. Quin) (08/13/90)

Etxstwi@juno13.ericsson.se (Stefan Wikstrom TM/JUF 7191288) writes:
>I'm looking for a postcript font with the Icelandic characters which look
>almost like a 'p' and a 'd'

Eth and Thorn are in the later PostScript fonts, although they are not
documented in the Red Book as far as I can see.
You may have to re-encode the fonts (see the example in the Blue Book),
depending on the package you are using.  I am not sure whether these
characters are available in the original laserwriter.  I first saw them
in the Agfa PS400.

Lee
--
Liam R. E. Quin,  lee@sq.com, {utai,utzoo}!sq!lee,  SoftQuad Inc., Toronto
``He left her a copy of his calculations [...]  Since she was a cystologist,

hk@simulina.se (H}kan K{llberg) (08/15/90)

etxstwi@juno13.ericsson.se (Stefan Wikstrom TM/JUF 7191288) writes:

>I'm looking for a postcript font with the Icelandic characters which look
>almost like a 'p' and a 'd', whatever they are called, in both upper and
>lower case.

Well, I just wrote an answer in swedish directly to Stefan, but
afterwards I thought that I'd better write to you all.

I wrote a program for my LaserWriter IINT that printed the names
of the characters that actually is available. Among them we got
the icelandic characters Thorn, thorn and Eth, eth. Just to code
them into some good place. These, and some other, are not
documented either in the blue/red book or in the manual to the
printer. Why??

				Hakan