[comp.fonts] Hindi fonts for IBM or Amiga

rory@hydra.unm.edu (Rory K McManus ASIAN.STUDI) (08/16/90)

Howdy!

I study the Hindi language of India, and recently I was given a public
domain word processing program which had the Devanagari fonts used in
Hindi and Sanskrit writing. Unfortunately, I can only use this program
when I am at the public labs at the University. What I really would like
to get is a Hindi font program for the IBM PC or for an Amiga computer
(or both!). If you know of any programs of this type I would greatly
appreciate your informing me of them, particularily if they are PD and
ftp-able. Thanks!

/\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\         MINNESOTA       MINNESOTA
><  /(<*>)\                         ><          GOPHERS         GOPHERS
><  \( v )/       Criminy!          ><         MINNESOTA       MINNESOTA
><  [-\_/-]    Rory K. McManus      ><        GOLDY  GOLDY   GOLDY  GOLDY
><   \ ^ /    rory@hydra.unm.edu    ><       GOLDY    GOLDY GOLDY    GOLDY
><   }==={      Asian Studies       ><      GOLDY      MINNESOTA      GOLDY
><    `"'                           ><     GOLDY        GOPHERS        GOLDY
\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\/   MINNESOTA     MINNESOTA     MINNESOTA

teexdwu@ioe.lon.ac.uk (DOMINIK WUJASTYK) (08/16/90)

In article <1990Aug15.230132.27974@ariel.unm.edu> rory@hydra.unm.edu (Rory K McManus ASIAN.STUDI) writes:

>when I am at the public labs at the University. What I really would like
>to get is a Hindi font program for the IBM PC or for an Amiga computer
>(or both!). If you know of any programs of this type I would greatly
>appreciate your informing me of them, particularily if they are PD and
>ftp-able. Thanks!

Superb Sanskrit and Hindi fonts have been created in METAFONT for use
with TeX (and LaTeX etc.).  TeX is available free for the IBM PC and
the Amiga.  (Post queries about TeX to comp.text.tex, not to me
please.)  The fonts are available for about $100 from Frans Velthuis
(velthuis@hgrrug5.bitnet).

Dominik