[comp.fonts] Postscript Type 1 font -> Type 3 font ?

lau@cs.ubc.ca (Huh?) (09/27/90)

Is it possible to convert a Type 1 font to a Type 3 font?  I know
that Type 1 fonts have all the hints, etc., but I have a software
Postscript emulator (Ravenscript which is essentially Ultrascript)
which can handle Type 3 fonts but can't handle Type 1 fonts.  And
I have this great Type 1 font that I can't use.  So can it be
done?  Thanks in advance for any hints and advice,

			Eric Lau
			lau@cs.ubc.ca

rce10845@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Robert C Elliott) (09/27/90)

In article <9751@ubc-cs.UUCP> lau@cs.ubc.ca (Huh?) writes:
>Is it possible to convert a Type 1 font to a Type 3 font?  I know
>that Type 1 fonts have all the hints, etc., but I have a software
>Postscript emulator (Ravenscript which is essentially Ultrascript)
>which can handle Type 3 fonts but can't handle Type 1 fonts.  And
>I have this great Type 1 font that I can't use.  So can it be
>done?  Thanks in advance for any hints and advice,
>
>			Eric Lau
>			lau@cs.ubc.ca

The Macintosh program _Metamorphosis_ (version 1.3(or 1.2?) by Altsys, about
$100 mail-order from MacWarehouse or MacConnection) will convert Type 1 fonts
into Type 3 fonts.  Hints are probably lost in the process, unless
Altsys has some kind of Type 3 hinting code.

Actually it can only convert Type 1 and _Fontographer_ Type 3 fonts directly;
it converts any other font with assistance of a 68000-based laser printer
(using cexec code like that which was posted to the net a few months
ago).

There's also a program called _Evolution_ by Image Club Software (about
$80 advertised) that claims to convert any font, without printer
assistance.  I think this program was announced even before
Metamorphosis 1.0 was announced (and Altsys has made significant
improvements from 1.0 to 1.3) and it still was not shipping a month
ago.

Rob Elliott
Embossed Graphics

lgorbet@hydra.unm.edu (Larry P Gorbet ANTHROPOLOGY) (09/27/90)

   Although it was not *intended* primarily for converting Type 1 to
Type 3, the utility ParaFont from Design Science can do that with
minimum hassle. I bought it mail order from Programs Plus for about
$70.

   What is *is* designed to do is produce very nice custom "derived
fonts" pretty much automatically. To get a broad idea of the flavor,
see what sorts of things are in Adobe's "Expert Collections". For
example, it will generate a set of "true" small caps -- letters with
basically uppercase shapes but only slightly taller than lowercase
letters and nearly as wide as uppercase (thus proportionally fatter
than the uppercase); they look uch* better than the aberration
produced by the so-called "small caps" style in MS-Word etc. Other
goodies include old-style numerals, "superiors", condensed or expanded
fonts, and more.

 The fonts produced are not as good, of course, as carefully crafted
productions from Adobe et al. and they are only Type 3 (so ATM will not
work with them). You have the option of including the "base font" from
which you derive a font in the PostScript font produced -- or not.
Given the price, if you really need to convert to Type 3, think of lotsa
goodies as a bonus.

lau@cs.ubc.ca (Huh?) (09/28/90)

From article <1990Sep26.224849.1522@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, by rce10845@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Robert C Elliott):
> In article <9751@ubc-cs.UUCP> lau@cs.ubc.ca (Huh?) writes:
>>Is it possible to convert a Type 1 font to a Type 3 font?
>
> The Macintosh program _Metamorphosis_ (version 1.3(or 1.2?) by Altsys, about
> $100 mail-order from MacWarehouse or MacConnection) will convert Type 1 fonts
> into Type 3 fonts.  Hints are probably lost in the process, unless
> Altsys has some kind of Type 3 hinting code.
>
> Rob Elliott
> Embossed Graphics

Sorry guys, maybe I should have been a bit more specific.  I really
wished I had Mac to do this on but I'm stuck with an IBM PC/AT clone.
So let me rephrase my question, is there software out there for
MS-DOS that will convert a Type 1 font to a Type 3 or is there
information on how this process is done so I can do the conversion
myself(if I really have to)?

			Eric Lau
			lau@cs.ubc.ca

pgd@bbt.se (P.Garbha) (10/01/90)

In article <9771@ubc-cs.UUCP> lau@cs.ubc.ca (Huh?) writes:
>So let me rephrase my question, is there software out there for
>MS-DOS that will convert a Type 1 font to a Type 3 or is there
>information on how this process is done so I can do the conversion
>myself(if I really have to)?

Z-Soft are coming out with a program do do just this.
The program is called Soft-Type. The current version is not able to
read type 1 fonts, but the soon to come version supposedly will be.
One week ago they (Z-soft) said 3 weeks to release, so it should be
very soon now...

Otherwise all information needed to make such a program is in the
"Black book".