[comp.fonts] PostScript versions of Computer Modern fonts

jumper@trwspf.uucp (Greg Jumper) (10/19/90)

(Sorry if you are seeing this again -- we had trouble with our news system,
so I am re-posting.)

Although there are numerous means of using PostScript fonts with TeX, has
anyone produced PostScript (outline) versions of the Computer Modern fonts?
Is such a conversion even a reasonable thing to do?  (Is the "hinting" in a
Type 1 PostScript font sufficient to describe a CM font at various point
sizes?)

For those systems with limited disk space, it would be nice to use outline
fonts on the printer, rather than PK fonts from disk.

                                       Thanks,

                                       Greg Jumper
                                       TRW Data Systems Center

                                       jumper@spf.trw.com

sears@dungeon.enet.dec.com (Chris Sears) (10/23/90)

It would be a good idea if Sun posted the Computer Modern fonts
in Folio F3 format.  This would be a good idea because:

    1.  A large number of TEX users run on workstations.
         These people could then use TEX with CM directly.

    2.  Adobe probably won't get around to doing it with a hinted
         version.  And if they do, a direct comparison would be interesting.

    3.  These are free fonts.  Don Knuth is a nice guy.  Apple pie tastes good.

	Chris Sears

caywood@teb.larc.nasa.gov (John Caywood) (10/26/90)

In article <1990Oct22.202355.6264@wrl.dec.com> sears@dungeon.enet.dec.com (Chris Sears) writes:
>It would be a good idea if Sun posted the Computer Modern fonts
>in Folio F3 format.  This would be a good idea because:

Ditto -- we could use these fonts, too.  Anyone from Sun listening?
   John Caywood