[comp.fonts] Wanted - Opinion of Optima Font w/LJ-III/PS/RET

bb@wjh12.harvard.edu (Brent Byer) (11/10/90)

In article <11175@goofy.Apple.COM> singer@apple.com (Dave Singer) writes:

>Many people feel that 300dpi printers do terrible things to Optima -- the
>gentle concave sections end up with a very obvious step in them, and much
>of the elegance and subtlety of the design is lost.  ...

This was my impression of the HP/Bitstream rendition of
Optima (aka "Zapf Humanist") as a LaserJet SoftFont family.
I had long ago developed a fondness for Optima when I played
with phototypesetters.

Has anyone used (either of) Adobe's Optima families on a LaserJet III
with HP's (Adobe-licensed) PS cartridge, and *with RET enabled* ?
Does it meet your critical expectations?

[ I have been *very* impressed with the effectiveness of the RET
  (Resolution Enancement Technology) (tm); also, it is a "neat hack". ]

Please let me know; I dislike blind decisions.

Thanks,
  Brent Byer   ( bb@wjh12.harvard.edu )