[comp.fonts] How to get Abobe fonts into X11/Open-look?

patrick@thomas.com (Patrick O'Shaughnessy) (11/09/90)

	I have a problem.

		We make street maps for the west coast. These maps are
		postscript based, (either rgb or cymk) files. We have been trying to find a
		way (besides the dec) to display them on screens for simple proofing before
		printing them on film. It is my intention to use pageview under Open-look
		to do this work.
		In order to use pageview I have to have available a special font
		(Letter-Gothic) that is not included in the Open Windows distribution.

			My question: How do I get a new display font added to the xnews server?

				I have the Letter-Gothic font in PC format. This gives the following
				files.
						*.PFB  - Printer fonts
						*.FON  - Windows screen fonts
						*.PFM  - Windows printer fonts
 		------------->	*.ABF  - Adobe Binary fonts   <---OW wants .AFB files???
						*.AFM  - Adobe Font Metrics

			The convert font utility included with Open Windows requires two
			files *.AFB (Adobe ASCII format bitmap font file) and *.AFM to create the
			necessary Open Windows font files.

			I only have the ABF files, where/how do I get the .AFB files mentioned
			in the X11/News Version 2 server guide? Or how do I get the .ABF files
			into .snf/.bdf fonts for a native X server?

Patrick O'Shaughnessy  UUCP:   {uunet!zardoz|sun!sunkist}!ohio!patrick
Thomas Bros. Maps               patrick@thomas.com
17731 Cowan            PHONE:  (714) 863-1984
Irvine, Ca 92714       FAX:    (714) 757-1564

--

caywood@teb.larc.nasa.gov (John Caywood) (11/15/90)

In article <1990Nov8.162847.6373@thomas.com> patrick@thomas.com (Patrick O'Shaughnessy) writes:

>	I have a problem.

  [ text deleted ]
>			I only have the ABF files, where/how do I get the .AFB files mentioned
>			in the X11/News Version 2 server guide? Or how do I get the .ABF files
>			into .snf/.bdf fonts for a native X server?
>
>Patrick O'Shaughnessy  UUCP:   {uunet!zardoz|sun!sunkist}!ohio!patrick
>Thomas Bros. Maps               patrick@thomas.com
>17731 Cowan            PHONE:  (714) 863-1984
>Irvine, Ca 92714       FAX:    (714) 757-1564

I have the same problem -- hope someone can post some information.

rwhite@nusdecs.uucp (0257014-Robert White(140)) (11/15/90)

In article <1990Nov8.162847.6373@thomas.com> patrick@thomas.com (Patrick O'Shaughnessy) writes:

>I have a problem.
>	The convert font utility included with Open Windows requires two
>	files *.AFB (Adobe ASCII format bitmap font file) and *.AFM to create the

Whenever I have needed the font metric files for this kind of thing
(admittedly only fo the PC) I have gone to the adobe special intrest
group in CompuServe(tm) and downloaded the metric files (for free).

It was a while back, but either way it is a good contact to adobe.

Rob.

(I don't work with them, I don't know them, I have never seen them
before in my life!)